CELLE Print
CELLE | niedersachsen-lower-saxony - International Jewish Cemetery Project

CELLE: 29223 Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Celle.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

IN USE: From 1692 until 1953.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 288.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1974-92 photographs, copies of inscriptions with translations of all gravestones by Bar-Giora Bamberger, in cooperation with the city of Celle.

PUBLICATIONS:

  • Naftali Bar-Giora Bamberger: Der jüdische Friedhof in Celle - Memor-Buch BET HA-KEVAROT HA-YEHUDI BE-TSELLEH publ. Heidelberg, C. Winter [c1992], 231 pages illust.,maps, tables (LBI).

  • History in Celle 1974, pages, 47-54.

  • Complete documentation by Bamberger 1992.

NOTES:

  • The low fenced-in area of the cemetery acquired in 1704 was enlarged in 1741 and again in 1758, which included a half-timbered dwelling for a caretaker. This building was renovated in 1879. At the same time a hearse was purchased. A replacement for the original wattle fence by a high, gated wall was started in 1885 and continued through 1904. The cemetery was enlarged in 1879. A domed mortuary was built in 1910/11.

  • The mortuary was demolished during Kristallnacht (9/10 November 1938) but damage to the gravestones was prevented by the non-Jewish caretaker, August Schmidt. He still maintained 11 graves in 1940. The cemetery was compulsorily acquired by the city authority in September 1944.

  • In 1947 nearly 500 displaced Jews, mostly concentration camp survivors from Silesia and Poland, lived in Celle.

  • Cemetery reconstruction was undertaken in 1951 and ownership transferred to the Jewish Trust Cooperation. The Association of Jewish Communities in Lower Saxony became the legal owners in 1959.

  • The cemetery was vandalised 3 times between 1962 and 1970 and again in 1985. A 7-year old boy was killed in 1966 by a toppling gravestone whilst playing, because the cemetery had become completely neglected. The dilapidated small prayer house and the caretaker's dwelling were demolished in 1974.

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg, Historisches Handbuch, pages 394-421 (DNB).

(Researched and translated from German June 2009)

 

Last Updated on Thursday, 03 December 2009 17:09