You are here: Home Germany NIEDERSACHSEN (LOWER SAXONY) BURGDORF
BURGDORF PDF Print E-mail
BURGDORF Kr. Hannover: 31303 Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Hannover.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:  Uetzer Strasse.

IN USE: First funeral 1694 in the then known Am Finkenherd field. Last funeral 1936.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 102. Oldest datable gravestone 1750.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1979-1981 copies and translation of all gravestone inscription by Burgdorf Gymnasium (refer to Publications below)..

PUBLICATIONS:

  • History, grave register and gravestone inscriptions in: Der jüdische Friedhof in Burgdorf, pub. 1981 Burgdorf: Gymnasium Burgdorf, 203 pages (DNB)
  • History, grave register and photographs with translations of inscriptions from selected gravestones in Homeyer 1984, pages 211-218 - published in: Gestern und heute; Juden im Landkreis Hannover by Friedel Homeyer, pub. HannoverLandkreis Hannover1984, 324 pages (LBI)

NOTES:

  • The cemetery was officially closed in April 1939 on the orders of the head of the provincial government.
  • 47 gravestones were reported to have been removed from the cemetery during the Nazi era (Burgdorf 1981, see Publications above).
  • Ownership of the cemetery passed to the Association of Jewish Communities in Lower Saxony in 1959 and vandalism was reported once more in 1960.
  • Care and maintenance obligations of the cemetery were taken over by the Gymnasium Burgdorf school in 1979.

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Historisches Handbuch pages 384-394 (DNB).

(Researched and translated from German May 2009)

Last Updated on Monday, 26 October 2009 17:21
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution