BARNSTORF Kr. DIEPHOLZ Print
BARNSTORF Kr. DIEPHOLZ: 49406 Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Diepholz.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Am Rosengarten.

IN USE: First recorded 1801 until 1936. Oldest datable gravestone 1876, latest 1936.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 12 of which 10 are dated between 1876 and 1836.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1899 copies and translations of all gravestones by Harald Storz.

NOTES:

  • The 1843 Diepholz synagoge grouping consisted of the small Jewish communities of Barnsdorf, Cornau, Drebber and, in 1846, also Goldenstedt and Heiligenlob. This cemetery was also used for burials by the Jewish community of Jacobidrebber.
  • The cemetery was extended and fenced in during 1879/80. A gravestone was discoverd in 1999 during building work in a private dwelling and returned to the cemetery.
  • The cemetery was vandalised in January 1932, when 2 gravestones were toppled and the cemetery‘s fencing demolished. Further desecration took place on Kristallnacht 10th November 1938, with many gravestones being toppled and smashed.
  • A local market garden has been taking care of the cemetery's maintenance since 1981

SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Historisches Handbuch, pages 468-478 (DNB).

(Researched and translated from German May 2009).

Last Updated on Sunday, 03 May 2009 17:31