You are here: Home Germany NIEDERSACHSEN (LOWER SAXONY) BAD MÜNDER am Deister
BAD MÜNDER am Deister PDF Print E-mail
BAD MÜNDER am Deister (Bad MUENDER am Deister)
  • incorporating EIMBECKHAUSEN: 31848 Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Hameln-Pyrmont.

I. BAD MÜNDER.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:  off the Deisterallee - Am Mönjesode.

IN USE: From 1826 until 1937.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES:

  • 28 with evidence of considerable vandalism. Most recent datable gravestone 1917.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1989/1990 photographs of all gravestones with translation of all gravestone inscriptions by Landesverband/Zentralarchiv.
  • 1991 photographs and 1997 copies of gravestone inscriptions by Bernard Gelderblom.
  • 1997 copies of all gravestone inscriptions by Professor Schaller.

PUBLICATIONS:

NOTES:

  • This cemetery was laid waste on 9 November 1938 (Kristallnacht). It was closed in 1939 and all subsequent burials took place in Lauenau. The cemetery was sold to a private buyer in 1941 and is, since 1960, owned by the Association of Jewish Communities in Lower Saxony. It was refurbished in 1961 (Gelderblom).

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Historisches Handbuch, pages 1082-1086 (DNB).

 

II. EIMBECKHAUSEN.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

  • Judenbrink far outside town, north-easterly direction towards Lauenau. No longer recognisable as a cemetery.

IN USE: last burial 1865.

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: None.

PUBLICATIONS:

NOTES:

  • From 1865 onwards the Jewish community of Eimbeckhausen used the cemetery in Lauenau for burials.
  • This cemetery was closed in 1938 and levelled in 1941 by order of the Nazi head of the provincial government. After a dispute about the ownership of the ground, it was registered in 1942 in the name of the local Eimbeckhausen authority. The Association of Jewish Communities in Lower Saxony has been negotiating for restitution of the cemetery ground since 2003. However, in spite of intensive negotiations during 2006 and 2007, restitution was finally refused by the Eimbeckhausen authority on the grounds that this area had never been a cemetery and that no burials had ever taken place there (Source: Bernard Gelderblom).

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg

(Researched and translated from German March 2009).

Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 May 2009 16:13
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution