BAD BODENTEICH Print
BAD BODENTEICH formerly BODENTEICH: 29389 Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) (Gerz, Peters).

DISTRICT: Uelzen.

LOCATION OF CEMETERY:

  • Waldweg - walk through facing wooded area to cemetery, where there is a cemetery information board.

IN USE: From 1803 (oldest datable gravestone) until 1905 (most recently dated stone).

NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 13.

DOCUMENTATION:

  • 1980/1982 photographs of all gravestones with copies and translations of inscriptions by Linde Weiland by order of the city of Uelzen.
  • 1983/1996 photographs of all gravestones with copies and translations of inscriptions by Bodenteich Kreisrealschule (District High School).

PUBLICATIONS:

  • Harro Blunk und Jürgen Linker: Zwischen Zeit und Ewigkeit : Der jüdische Friedhof in Bad Bodenteich pub. 2006 by Bad Bodenteich: Förderkreis Burg Bodenteich 38 pages, full documentation ill. (DNB).
  • Ralf Busch: Beitraege zur Geschichte der Juden in Uelzen und in Nordostniedersachsen für Stadt Uelzen pub. Oldenburg : Isensee Verlag, 1996 , pages 302-314.ill (LBI)
  • Bodenteich; Cemetery Collection (LBI).

NOTE:

  • The original size of the cemetery was about 200 sq.yds and was extended in 1875 to around 300 sq,yds.
  • The cemetery became dilapidated by neglect and vandalism, following the sale of the cemetery in 1941 to the local authority. Restoration took place in the 1980s and a new wire mesh fence surrounds the area since 1984. Local workmen re-erected 6 toppled gravestones and found up to 15 graves.

SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Historisches Handbuch, pages 721-726 (DNB).

(Researched and translated from German May 2009)

Last Updated on Wednesday, 15 July 2009 18:48