GOULBURN: Print


  • Jewish Cemetery: "The Jewish cemetery, situated in Long Street in a valley below the War Memorial, is on the northern outskirts of the town. Elias Moses gave the land for the cemetery in 1845, when, in late 1844, John Moses' two daughters drowned and were buried in unmarked graves on the land. Goulburn had a large Jewish population from the 1840's to the mid-1870's. Up to twenty-two burials have taken place, many of these unmarked by headstones but several of those remaining have inscriptions in both English and Hebrew. The cemetery was very overgrown. The stones were in bad repair until recently [1998]. The Australian Jewish Historical Society, with the assistance of local historian Mr. Stephen Tazewell, has embarked on an active program of restoration. This information was kindly provided by the Southern Tablelands Regional Library . Source - Monumental Inscriptions - Goulburn, Edited by Pam Ray and Graham Thorn, Canberra Heraldry and Genealogy Society of Canberra - 1986." http://www.huntervalleygenealogy.com
  • War Cemetery