|TRENTON: Mercer County|
Also in Trenton area are HIGHTSTOWN and PERRINEVILLE.
Jewish cemeteries in Trenton New Jersey area range from private (Jewish only) cemeteries to consecrated Jewish ground within larger non-sectarian cemeteries. The oldest cemeteries are Jewish only, surrounded by high fences, are filled with the exception of a handful of graves. They are maintained and immaculately groomed by their synagogues. The next group of Jewish only cemeteries, several congregation and small lodge cemeteries, is located near Cedar Lane in Hamilton Township. Short fences with concrete footpaths surround these cemeteries. They are not large, are well maintained, but are reaching capacity. The newer cemeteries are dedicated Jewish grounds within larger public cemeteries in both Hamilton and Ewing Townships. These have black-topped roads for vehicles; the Jewish sections are open without any enclosures. Many of the Jewish funerals were under the direction of Poulson & Van Hise (now at 650 Lawrence Road, Lawrenceville, Telephone: 396-8168), Schutzbank (Riverside Memorial Chapels, 1310 Prospect Street, Ewing Township, Telephone: 771-9109), and more recently Orland's Ewing Memorial Chapel (1534 Pennington Road, Trenton, Telephone: 883-1400).
Adath Israel Cemetery: Greenwood Cemetery, Hamilton Township, and Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Ewing Township. Adath Israel Congregation was the first Conservative synagogue being organized in a meeting held September 30, 1923. Adath Israel Congregation, 1958 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrenceville. Telephone: 896-4977.
Brith Sholem TCL 39: Pitman Avenue, Hamilton Township.
Brothers of Israel (Achainy B'nai Israel) Cemetery: Liberty and Vroom Streets, Trenton, New Jersey, and Cedar Lane, Hamilton Township. Brothers of Israel was the first Orthodox synagogue incorporated on May 28, 1883 but not fully established until May 14, 1886. In 1885 they laid out a burial ground on Liberty and Vroom Streets adjoining the Har Sinai Cemetery. In 1907 it was enlarged. The Vroom and Liberty Streets cemetery is fully enclosed with a wrought iron fencing with occasional brick/stone pediments. The name of the congregation is on the gate that is in the center fronting Vroom Street. No roadways for vehicles but there are paved walkways. Well kept but crowded. Medium to large stones, with many larger markers with long Yiddish inscriptions. In 1913, they established an auxiliary cemetery at Cedar Lane and Clover Avenue, in Hamilton Township. This spacious cemetery fronting on Cedar Lane has more recent burials. Brothers of Israel has been Conservative for many years. Cemetery records are maintained by 530 Washington Crossing Rd, Newtown, PA 18940-2906, (215) 579-2200
Congregation of the People of Truth (Anshe Emes) Cemetery: Ridge Avenue and Cedar Lane, and Clover Section, further east on Pitman Avenue, Hamilton Township. People of the Truth was the next Orthodox synagogue starting in the late 1880s or early 1890s, incorporated December 1891. In 1893, they established a cemetery near Cedar Lane, in Hamilton Township. The first cemetery at Ridge Avenue and Cedar Lane, fronting on Cedar Lane, has a locked vehicular gate, but no paved roads. The cemetery is surrounded by chain-linked fencing and is all grassy without walkways. Stones are newer and medium-size. The second cemetery further east and entered from Pitman Avenue is enclosed by a large wrought iron fence with a gate with Anshe Emet in Hebrew and a sign "People of Truth Cemetery Association-Clover Section" to the right of the gate. A single black-topped foot path goes through the center from front to rear. A grouping of trees is in the rear on the left. The stones are medium to large with the larger stones often having long Yiddish inscriptions. People of Truth is now merged into Poale Emet.
UPDATE: Arthur Sugerman questions Shari Myers ascertion about Jewish burials in Chambersburg, a primarily Italian area. [date?]
Congregation Ahavath Israel Cemetery: two cemeteries on Pitman Avenue off Cedar Lane, and Ahavath Israel-Workman's Circle Br. 90 on Ridge Avenue, Hamilton Township. This Orthodox shul was incorporated in December 1909. The founders were mainly of Austro-Hungarian extraction. Ahavath Israel has been Conservative for many years. The two burial grounds with main entrances from Pitman Avenue cover the block over to Clover Avenue. There are also entrances on Clover Avenue. The two cemeteries are separated by the cemeteries for Workmen's Circle Br. #90 and Brith Shalom TCL 39 and Trenton Young Judea. A third burial ground Ahavath Israel-Workman's Circle Br. 90 is on Ridge Avenue. Ahavath Israel Congregation, 1130 Lower Ferry Road, Ewing. Telephone: 882-3092.
Congregation Workers of Truth (Poale Emet) Cemetery: Cedar Lane and Pitman Avenue, Hamilton Township. This Orthodox shul was incorporated in 1919. A chain-linked fence surrounds cemetery, with no roads within. Congregation Workers of Truth, 832 West State, Trenton. Telephone: 396-2231.
Ewing Cemetery/Crematorium: 78 Scotch Road, Ewing Township. Telephone: 882-0279.Har Sinai Section--Usual headstones of small to medium size. Young Judea Section-more recent burial ground.
Fountain Lawn Memorial Park: #13296 in Cemeteries of the US by Deborah M. Burek, ed. Gale Research Int., Detroit MI (1994) ISBN 0-8103-9245-3. Source: Al Rosenfield:
Fortitude Benevolent Association: Pitman Avenue, Hamilton Township.
Fountain Lawn Memorial Park: 545 Eggert Crossing Road, Ewing Township. Telephone: 882-7744. Non-sectarian with consecrated Jewish section. One black-topped road through center. Adath Israel Section is marked with engraved large gray marble obelisk. Dedicated in 1953. Flat grave markers only. Family plots. Hebrew Gardens--Non-denominational Jewish area.
#13296 in Cemeteries of the US by Deborah M. Burek, ed. Gale Research Int., Detroit MI (1994) ISBN 0-8103-9245-3. Source: Al Rosenfield:
Greenwood Cemetery: 1800 Hamilton Avenue, Hamilton Township. Telephone: 587-4993. Non-sectarian with consecrated Jewish section. Blacktopped roads. Well-maintained. No enclosures marking Jewish section. Adath Israel Section--Closer to Greenwood Avenue than Har Sinai's area. Flat markers, small markers and medium markers. Includes large family plots. Har Sinai Section--Very well kept with some imposing monuments and vaults.
Har Sinai Cemetery: Vroom and Liberty Street, Trenton, and Ewing Cemetery, 78 Scotch Road, Ewing Township. Har Sinai was the first German synagogue starting around 1860 with services in German and Hebrew. The Har Sinai Cemetery Association was organized at a meeting held November 19, 1857, prior to the start of their first services. In that same year, a lot was purchased for burial purposes at the corner of Vroom and Liberty Streets, Trenton, New Jersey. Chevra Bikur Cholim was founded around 1876/1877 with Herman Rosenbaum as president. Har Sinai moved to a purpose-built building after 1904 and at that time officially became Reform. Har Sinai Temple, 491 Bellevue Avenue, Trenton. Telephone: 392-7143. The Vroom and Liberty Streets Har Sinai Cemetery has old small-sized stones (pre-1900) which are few in number with many illegible due to weathering and moss growth.
Knights of Pythias: Clover Avenue off Cedar Lane, Hamilton Township. Cemetery is surrounded by chain-linked fence without any roads within. Area is grassy with flat, small and medium markers.
Trenton Young Judea Association: Pitman Avenue, Hamilton Township, and a more recent burial ground at Ewing Cemetery.
Workmen's Circle Cemetery Br. #90: Pitman Avenue, Hamilton Township. The Workmen's Circle began its activities in 1924.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 03 September 2009 23:25|