CLIFTON: Passaic County Print

 

also see Bloomfield

 

B'nai Jeshurin Jewish Cemetery: Congregation B'nai Jeshurun of Franklin Lakes, formerly Paterson. In the mid-1800s, Jews in Paterson formed B'nai Jeshurun and acquired land for a burial plot. When theu opened Mount Nebo Cemetery in Totowa, they stopped using the Clifton cemetery. This small private cemetery can only be accessed by way of a private residence. The main entrance is off the rear yard of a home on the cul-de-sac of Homestead Street. The site is in great disrepair. The majority of names listed belong to the Simon family, Moses Simon being the founder of the first synagogue in the area. NY Channel 7 Eyewitness News on Monday December 14, 199_ had a story about the abandoned cemetery with the hopes of getting funding to repair the headstones and tidy up the grounds, giving this family the proper recognition they deserve. The cemetery was established in 1847 when congregation was located in Paterson. Only two 1800's headstones are visible at this writing One is Reuban Simon, the other all in Hebrew. Approximately 20 burials. Possibly Barnert Memorial Temple in Franklin Lakes, N.J. may have more information as they contemplated restoring the grounds. Source: Mrs. Carole Patti; e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Newspaper article: http://www.bergen.com/psouth/gravesjc199908205.htm : Tiny graveyard (50x100'), off View Place in the Albion section near Valley Road, is being restored by members of B'nai Jeshurun. "The 152-year-old burial ground is believed to be the oldest organized Jewish cemetery in New Jersey. It is the resting place for some of the area's first Jewish residents." [citation: John Chadwick, August 20, 1999, Bergen Record ]. Franklin Lakes resident Mitchell Knapp, donated the use of his landscaping company, Scenic Landscaping of Wanaque, and paid for removing diseased trees and disposing of the debris in 1998. Additional stones were found during the cleanup. Some have English inscriptions: family names of Goodhorn and Rosenstein. Clifton public works crew cleaned site in 1999. Congregation plans full restoration.

 

King Solomon Cemetery: see West Ridgelawn Cemetery

 

Menorah Cemetery: aka East Ridgelawn Cemetery : Riverside Memorial Chapel Directors

DIRECTIONS FROM N.Y.: Lincoln Tunnel to Route 3 West to Exit 7 Passaic Avenue. Turn right to corner (Allwood Rd). Turn left and go to end. Turn right to cemetery. Sinai Chapels Funeral Directors

DIRECTIONS: Long Island Expressway (495) west to Grand Central Parkway North to Triboro Bridge to Major Deegan Expressway to George Washington Bridge to Route 80 (local exits) to Route 17 South to Route 3 west to Nutley-Passaic Avenue Exit. Left at traffic light to cemetery. Small-medium size cemetery. Source: Judith Salomon, 12 Thrumont Rd. West Caldwell, NJ 07006.

Organizations and families that have sections:

Adjutorol Bukares...

Manhattan Lodge

Ahavas Israel (Passaic Park Jewish Center)

Pashlet Rothmel

Boro Br #14

Rudbart

Camkpel

Sec 4, B1 B

Clifton Jewish Center

Section 5, B1 A

Cong. Cuzidien Faith

Section 5, B1 B

Cong. Tifereth Israel

Sec 6, B1 B

Court Montefiore

Sephardic Jewish Brotherhood

First Ohel

Star of David

First Rezeena

Star of Jacob, Cong. Chevra

Jewish League of Caldwell

Temple B'nai Zion (Bloomfield)

Krantz Fand

Thilim Tifereth Israel

Lewis Gerber

Workmen's Circle

Lustig Glickstein

Zemel Family

 

West Ridgelawn Cemetery: Dwas Line and Allwood Roads Directions are the same as for Menorah/East Ridgelawn Cemetery, except once on Allwood Rd make a right on Dwas Line Rd. The entrance is not far on the left. P.O. Box 1041, Clifton, NJ 07014-1041 (201-473-5646); a.k.a. King Solomon. Photos below taken and donated by Kitty Cooper in 2002.


  • Last Updated on Saturday, 27 March 2010 15:47