VIRGINIA CITY: Storey County Print

general Storey County information. [August 2005]

Jewish history [July 2011]

Temple Sinai Jewish Cemetery: {10831 contour map with the city and cemetery, as well several scenes of the cemetery. The 1862 cemetery is located more than a half-mile north of the Protestant cemetery. The road is washed out, making it necessary to walk in. The fence is gone; and cattle graze through. The inscriptions were copied and checked in November 1958 and compiled in Feb. 1959 by Verna Stumpf Paterson (Mrs. Chester A.), a member of the DAR who gave permission to use this information received 11/05/1999. In February 2000, Dr. Malkin wrote that "Apparently, there was a deed in 1864 or 1865. There are only two remaining stones not yet stolen from the cemetery. Pictures from Dr. Leslie Malkin, e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Only two grave markers still stand; and a few have fallen over or broken. It was always a small cemetery but apparently many stones have been taken. Difficult to find, the site is not connected with the large cemetery conglomerate in Virginia City and is not really visible from any roads. Source: Anita Howard. See: Postal & Koppman. Jewish Tourist's Guide to U.S. Philadelphia, PA: Jewish Publ. Soc., 1954, p.297-298".

See: Temple Sinai and Virginia City, Nevada Correspondence of Alfred Barnston concerning efforts of the Commission for the Preservation of Pioneer Jewish Cemeteries. San Francisco, CA, Aug. 19, 1963 and Sacramento, CA, Nov. 21, 1963. Typescript. 2 pages. Typescript copies in Correspondence file at AJA. American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488. (513)221-1875 (tel); (513)221-7812 (fax). E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nv/storey/hebrew.txt: "During the height of the Comstock, this cemetery served the burial needs for Virginia City's thriving Jewish community.  The cemetery was established in 1863 and was described as a "very handsome plot of ground(1).  As the Comstock mining activity ebbed in the late 1880's and early 1890's, Virginia City's population began to shrink.  As a result, the cemeteries, including the Hebrew cemetery, fell into disrepair and over the next 100 years desert vegetation reclaimed the landscape.    Unfortunately, the cemetery has been the subject of anti-Semitic vandalism on several occasions during the last one hundred years.  Headstones have been destroyed or defaced and the cemetery generally desecrated.  For this reason the location of the cemetery will not be revealed in this publication.  Those who would like to visit the cemetery should contact the Comstock Historic District Commission at 702-847-0281. Has burial list.

http://www.comstockcemeteryfoundation.com/foundation/organizations/jewish.htm has Jewish historical information and  "…a very handsome plot of ground, of about 100 feet square.  We noticed several fine grave spots staked off, but at present only the remains of one person occupies the ground, and we paused for while and allowed our eyes to rest upon the solitary grave, situated on the northwest corner of the cemetery…little left of the nearly 25 burials from the 1800s..."  [August 2005]

 

Last Updated on Friday, 29 July 2011 12:23