GRONINGEN: PDF Print E-mail
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Netherlands "It is an old village and in ancient times it used to be the capital of the county Reiderland. The population of the village existed mainly of merchants, artisans and farmers. Also a significant number of the population worked as weavers. The first Jews settled in Winschoten at the end of the 17th century. Around 1710 there lived approximately four Jewish families. In the 18th century the number of Jews hardly increased. In 1773 there lived eleven Jewish families in the village and in 1783 the Jewish population numbered 34 persons. The same number of Jews lived in adjacent hamlets and villages. Especially in the 19th century the Jewish population increased strongly. In 1814 the Jewish Community Winschoten had 197 members of which 170 lived in Winschoten. ... The first Jewish cemetery was situated in the Liefkenstreet and was in 1792 mentioned for the first time. This cemetery was closed down in 1828 and in 1969 the mortal remains and tomb-stones were transferred to the 'new' cemetery. This cemetery was founded in 1828 and is situated at the St. Vitusholt. All the tomb-stones are photographed and the inscriptions are translated into Dutch."
Source: http://www.martinistad.net/jodeningroningen/english/jewish-communities/winschoten.htm [December 2002]
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution