|OMAHA: Douglas and Sarpy Counties|
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nesarpy/ has general Sarpy County information. [September 2005]
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nedougla/ has general Douglas County information. [September 2005]
Gendler, Carol. "The First Synagogue in Nebraska: The Early History of the Congregation of Israel of Omaha." Nebraska History 58 (Fall 1977):323-41. [September 2005]
B'nai Abraham Cemetery: founded by Adas Jeshurun on the same grounds as Fisher's Farm. Source: Nebraska Jewish Historical Society.
UPDATE: see see Fisher's Farm Cemetery http://www.rootsweb.com/~nesarpy/bnai.html: "Commonly known as the Fisher Farm Cemetery (as is the adjoining Beth Hamedrosh Hagadol (BHH) Cemetery), this small Jewish cemetery was first started in 1901. The BHH Cemetery had already been established nearly 20 years earlier. These two cemeteries, along with the Fisher Farm and Hrabik Cemeteries are located on 42nd St. 1/2 miles south of Giles Rd. The deed for the property was signed on 9 Dec 1901 and filed on 20 Feb 1902 in Book 35, Page 13. The consideration was $150.00 and conveyed the land (2/5) acre from Marie and Vincent Hrabik to the Congregation Share Zion. A later deed transferred owndership from the Congregation Share Zion to Chevra B'nai Yisroel (dated 9 Sep 1909 and recorded 29 Nov 1909 in Book 43, Page 90). A third deed then transferred ownership from Dhevra Bnai Isroel [sic] to Bnai Abrahm Society of South Omaha (dated 6 Jan 1915 and recorded 13 Jan 1915 in Book 46, Page 599). There is a memorial marker at the entrance which is engraved: 'Max Sacks Memorial./ In loving memory and gratitude / for his 42 years of tireless / and devoted effort on behalf of THE BNAI ABRAHAM CEMETERY' There are seven rows of graves, identified by signs at the south end of each, as "Sec.1" through "Sec.7". Some of the earlier BHH Cemetery burials are actually located in Sec 1 of Bnai Abraham. Most of the graves have raised concrete borders outlining the grave itself and the enclosed area is planted with ground cover. The cemetery is well maintained and is still being used, but it has nearly reached its capacity. One interesting marker is in Sec. 6, which is engraved 'Congregation of Israel- 1962. Jewish prayer books which are worn out and can no longer be used for services cannot be burned or otherwise destroyed. They can, however, be buried for disposal and this monument marks the site of burial of these sacred books.' [September 2005]
http://www.bethel-omaha.org/ is congregational website. [September 2005] Beth El Synagogue bought land for its cemetery at 4700 S. 84th St. in 1927. Source: Nebraska Jewish Historical Society.
UPDATE: http://www.bethel-omaha.org/aboutus.html since 1929-Conservative. [September 2005]
Beth Hamedrosh Hagodol Cemetery (aka: Fishers Farm or BHH) (geographically in Sarpy Co. with Omaha address and many Douglas Co. burials) [January 2003]
UPDATE: http://www.rootsweb.com/~nesarpy/beth.html: "Beth Hamedrosh Hagadol Cemetery (often abbreviated B.H.H.) one of the two Jewish cemeteries located in Sarpy County, is commonly referred to as the Fisher Farm Cemetery, as is the adjoining Bnai Abraham Cemetery. A deed conveying the land, one acre, was from Willard W. Fisher and wife to Congregation Bennea Israel and the consideration was $150.00. It was dated 1 Nov 1883 and recored 20 Nov 1883 in Book "O", page 603. This land was part of the Fisher family farm, where a family cemetery had already been established. A later deed, dated 1 Apr 1901 and recorded 6 Jun 1901 in Book 34, Page 101, transferred the property from Congregation Bennea Israel to Congregation Beth Hamedresh Hadadoal [sic]. The older section is segregated by gender and age. In one row adult males were buried side by side down the row in order of death. In the next row adult females were buried in the same fashion. There were seperate rows where most of the children were buried. There is no way to establish who was a husband and wife since they were buried separately. In the new sections couples and families are usually buried together. Another interesting feature is that most of the graves have raised concrete borders and the enclosed area contains ground cover. Most of the more recent markers have Hebrew and English inscriptions, but many of the oldest ones have only Hebrew inscriptions. Some have had English inscriptions added later to the original Hebrew ones. The cemetery is located on 42 St. 1/2 mile south of Giles Rd.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nesarpy/fisher.html: "Yet another of Sarpy County's family cemeteries, the Fisher Farm Cemetery, lies at the end of 42nd St.. 1/2 mile south of Giles Rd. It is in the Northeast Quarter of Sec. 20, Twp 14, Range 13. Willard Fisher built a stone house on his farm which took several years to build. The following is quoted from the 23 Jun 1966 edition of the South Omaha Sun. "During the years of construction, Fisher's one son became big enough to do his share. You grew up fast on the frontier. Completion of the building was a signal for a celebration. Fresh killed game, garden fresh vegetables and the inevitable "corn likker" jugs appeared like magic and disappeared with surprising speed. The Fisher farm was successful. Willard raised grain for personal use and barter and ran a few head of cattle. Christina [Willard's wife] raised a happy family of children and kept a clean house. The dreaded Black Diphtheria struck Sarpy County in 1887. By the time the epidemic had run its course, Willard Fisher and a daughter, Inez, were all that remained of a family of 7. Fisher had lived on his farm for nearly 30 years when the diphtheria bug came to Sarpy. One by one the members of his family came down with the disease. One by one they were laid to rest in the family cemetery at the top of the hill, about a half mile from the house." There's just one thing wrong with the above story. There are only three marked graves for the children of Willard and these three, along with Willard, all died in 1883! Although the story in the newspaper leads one to believe that Willard's wife died during this epidemic, she died in 1917 and is buried with her mother, her daughter Inez and Inez's husband, Rev. Theodore Morning, in Cedar Dale Cemetery. Eventually three other cemeteries-- Hrabik, Beth Hamedrosh Hagadol and Bnai Abraham-- would join the Fisher Farm Cemetery "at the top of the hill." [September 2005]
B'nai Jacob/Anshe Sholom: 6412 N. 42nd St. (Hungarian) same address as Temple Israel Cemetery below. Source: Nebraska Jewish Historical Society.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nedougla/ [January 2003]
Golden Hill Cemetery: The Chevra B'nai Israel Adas Russia purchased land at 5025 North 42nd St. for this cemetery in 1888. Source: Nebraska Jewish Historical Society
Hrabik Cemetery: see Fisher's Farm Cemetery (5109 N. 42nd); Beth Israel Synagogue (1502 N 52 St. 68104)(402/556-6288) [September 2005]
Mount Sinai Cemetery: In 1922, Beth Hamedrosh Adas Jesurun purchased burial ground at 8700 S. 42nd Mount Sinai Cemetery. Its chapel is not located there. [Same address as Fisher's Farm above] Source: Nebraska Jewish Historical Society.
UPDATE: 78th & Crown Point) for defunct synagogues Adas Yeshuron and B'nai Jacob
Oak Hills Cemetery: Off Pierce St.; Council Bluffs, Iowa, Jewish families use a part of Oak Hills Source: Nebraska Jewish Historical Society
Pleasant Hill Cemetery: (Redick & N. 42nd) comprises the following 3 cemeteries; Temple Israel Synagogue (7023 Cass. 68132)(402/556-6526): Temple Israel Cemetery includes B'nai Jacob Cemetery (defunct synagogue) and B'nai Sholem Cemetery (defunct synagogue)
http://www.templeisrael-ne.org/ is congregational website.
http://ne001.urj.net/welcomehistory.shtml is history since 1856. [September 1, 2005]
|Last Updated on Friday, 16 January 2009 01:01|