ZGURITSA PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Zguriţa [Rom], Zguritsa [Rus], Zgaritza [Yid], Kolonie Zgurica, Zgurit, Zgura, Russian: Згурица. זגוריצה - Hebrew. 48°07' N, 28°01' E, 13 miles W of Soroca (Soroki). Yizkor: Pirke Zguritsa (Tel Aviv, 2000). 1900 Jewish population: 1,802. [March 2009]

Settled in 1853 as a Jewish agricultural colony of over 1,000 acres rented by settlers from Bessarabia. In 1878 the new owner, a Jew, canceled the lease of the estate and Zguritsa lost its status as a Jewish agricultural colony requiring Its residents to registered as burghers. From 1890 to 1903, further Jewish settlement in Zguritsa was prohibited by the May Laws issued on May 3, 1882. In 1897 Zguritsa's Jewish population was 1,802 (85% of the total). In 1899, 36 families rented 370 acres in the area, mainly for growing vegetables. Agrarian reform in Rumania in 1922 granted plots of land to 150 Jews of Zguritsa. In 1925 the 193 members of the local loan fund included 40 farmers, 25 artisans, and 113 tradesmen. In 1930 there were 2,541 Jews in Zguritsa (83.9% of the total population), supporting a kindergarten and an elementary school both of the Tarbut organization.Source: "Encyclopedia Judaica"

REFERENCE: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Like Shells on a Shore. Projekt 36, Bern, Switzerland, 2010. To order, contact Mr. Geissbuhler. history and photographs. [December 2010]

Cemetery: Located on a hillside, a hedge and row of trees or bushes with no gate surrounds  the 2,000 sq m site. 1,200 gravestones date from the 19th century. Rarely visited, vegetation is a constant problem that damages stones. Contact: Zilinskaya D. (+373-252)44364. photos [March 2009]

Last Updated on Thursday, 30 December 2010 14:00
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution