Lipcani (Russian: Липканы, Yiddish: Lipkon) is a small town in Moldova in the Bessarabia region, located on the banks of the Prut river, which forms the border with Romania. The border with Ukraine is only a few kilometers to the north. Lipcani is about 40 km from the city of Khotyn. The town is crossed by small river called Medvedca. Alternate names: Lipcan, Lipcany, Lipkan, Lipkani, Lipchen, Lipcheny, Lipcheni, Lipcani Targ, Lipceni, Lipchany, Lypchany, Lipchani, Lipkamya, Lepkan, Lepkany, Lepkani, Lepcan, Lepcany, Lepcani, Linkani, Liptchani, Lipkane, Lipkon and Lipcon.
- To Survive and Tell, Written by: Shalom Eitan Privately published in Israel, Russian, German 1998. Project Coordinator and Translator Shalom Eitan, Yizkor Book Project, JewishGen.
- The Community of Lipkany; Memorial Book, published in Tel Aviv, 1963. Project Coordinator Michael A. Miller and Translator David Goldman, Yizkor Book Project, JewishGen. [March 2009]
- The Lipkani That Was. Video produced by Bat Ami Strul. Presented with permission of the producer, 2012.
- Cemetery: Located on flat land, a broken masonry wall with a gate that locks surrounds the 10.000 sq. m.cemetery. 1.000 gravestones are visible with the oldest dating from the 19th century. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces,other metallic elements,portraits on stones,and metal fences around graves Vandalism was occasional between 1990 and 2004. Contacts: Roinshtein M. (+373-247)61764 and Hilis L. (+373-248)61346. Photos. [March 2009]
- Lipcani cemetery was destroyed by fire this week. March 20, 2014 in Lipcani, Briceni district, fire almost completely destroyed the Jewish cemetery: "... eyewitnesses say that the fire occurred after a few drunken men set fire to dry grass. Law enforcement officials warn that those who set fire to dry grass or leaves, faces a fine of up to 3,000 lei for environmental damage. However, according to the emergency services, in Brichany in 2014 while no one was fined for this article." Yefim Kogan, Bessarabia SIG Leader and Coordinator [Mar 2014]
- Lipkany, 1940-1992. Completed by Michael Glazer, UK. Total of 118 records are available at JOWBR. To see all records in a table, please click on Lipkany on the left.
- JOWBR: Lipcani Jewish Cemetery
- Lipcani, Moldova - Jewish Cemetery
- Photos by