CALARASI (Kalarash): Print

Alternate names: Călăraşi [Mold], Kalarash [Rus,: Yiddish: קאַלאַראַש] lărasi-Targ [Rom], Kałarasz [Pol], Calarasi, Calarasi Sat, Kelerashi-Tyrg, Kalaras, Tuzora, Tuzara, Moldavian: Кэлэрашь. Russian: Калараш. 47°15' N, 28°18' E , 31 miles NW of Chişinău (Kishinev), 26 miles WSW of Orhei (Orgieev). Jewish population: 4,593 (in 1897), 3,631 (in 1930) Yizkor: Sefer Kalarash; le-hantsahat zikhram shel yehudei ha-ayara she-nehreva bi-yemei ha-shoa (Tel Aviv, 1966) 

ShtetLink. 1906 photos of town after 1905 pogrom. [March 2009]

Jewish Cemetery: photos. Contact: S. Feofilaktova (373-244) 2-20-18, (+373-22) 34-77-40. Located on a hill rising behind buildings on the main street in the center of town at Donich str. with a broken metal fence and no gate, gravestones range from 1,000 to 5,000.  60.000 sq. m. area. Holocaust memorial: Golberg family restored the monument to victims of the Holocaust shot in the village Onishkany in 1941. In 1993, part of the cemetery was maintained. Many gravestones were in good condition with some surrounded by metal fences. Other parts are overgrown with broken and leaning tombstones. Gravestones date from the 19th century. photo [March 2009]

The Calarasi Cemetery Project is now on JOWBR. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , Centennial, CO.[June 2010]

The cemetery has several sections. The newer section with primarily large gravestones with mostly Russian inscriptions and usually deceased' photo and are 70% of the legible stones, most from 1960-2006. The older part is in bad shape with many illegible gravestones. The Hebrew inscriptions are patronyms and rarely have surnames.  1890-1950  Seven legible stones date from 1828-1845. 1845-1890 stones seem not to be readable. [November 2010]

REFERENCE: Carved Memories: Heritage in Stone from the Russian Jewish Pale (Rizzoli International Publications, 2000), photographer David Goberman. Two gravestones from the old section of the Jewish cemetery  (pp. 148-150): One gravestone from the 1850s is "the daughter of (illegible)" with a lion catching a butterfly. A second gravestone dated between1850 and 1900, that of "a young man Eliahu Eleazar", has Cohan blessing.

Municipal Cemetery: Jewish section where most Jewish burials take place currently. [March 2009]

Last Updated on Monday, 15 November 2010 13:00