|MERIDIAN: Lauderdale County|
http://www.isjl.org/history/archive/ms/meridian.htm has Jewish Community history and photos. [January 2009]
Congregation Beth Israel: Reform.
Meridian Jews formed Beth Israel in 1868 and 1874, joined the Union of American Hebrew Congregations. See history and photos of Beth Israel. [January 2009]
documents exist in (AJA) American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488; phone (513) 221-1875:
Death record book, 1852-1940; list of grave plot assignments and letter of requirements for having a plot, 1937; and letter from committee on the cemetery, stating regulations for removal of bodies from their graves, 1897. Small Collections
Documents exist in (AJA) American Jewish Archives in Vital Statistics File: Tombstone inscriptions from Jewish cemeteries in Claiborne and Eufaula, AL and correspondence concerning these towns. Claiborne, AL and Meridian, MS and various places. Nov. 22, 1978 and July 3, 1979.
Ohel Jacob Congregation, Orthodox. 1895. See congregation's history and photos.In the early 20th century, Ohel Jacob held Saturday morning services from 6 am to 8 am so members could open their stores by 9. In 1990, the few remaining members decided to disband the congregation and sell the 1929 building. The building was ultimately torn down in 2000. [January 2009]
Beth Israel Cemetery: 5th Avenue, west of Highway 39 North.
"In 1868, this burgeoning Jewish community established Beth Israel as Lauderdale County’s first Jewish congregation. Their first act was to acquire land for a cemetery for $100. The Beth Israel cemetery, which is still used by the congregation, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The founding of Beth Israel was spearheaded by David Rosenbaum, Alex Lowenstein, Abraham Threefoot, and G.H. Lesser, who served as President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer, respectively." Source. [January 2009]
Letter from the Historic Preservation Division of Archives and History stating that Beth Israel Cemetery has been placed in the National Register o Historic Places. Jackson, MS, Apr. 10, 1989. Correspondence file
Record book of deaths of members of Temple Beth Israel. Sept. 28, 1869-Oct. 17, 1975. Vital Statistics file http://www.americashistoricplaces.com/historymississippi/BethIsraelCemetery.htm:
Ohel Jacob Cemetery: Orthodox. 5th Avenue West of Highway 39 North.
In 1929, Ohel Jacob built a small synagogue and acquired land across from Beth Israel's cemetery. [January 2009]
This cemetery, just down the road from Beth Israel Cemetery, belongs to Congregation Ohel Jacob, founded in 1880 and closed March 1991. A chain line fence surrounds the small well-kept, still maintained cemetery. The gate is locked at all times, but a key is available at Webbs Funeral Home on 7th Street & 26th Ave. in downtown Meridian. The current representative of the remaining Orthodox community in Meridian is David S. Shapiro. Sources: Turitz [see top of this page] compiled circa October 1978 and updated 2/7/1996 by Julian H. Preisler,
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 January 2009 13:11|