KALKARA: Print

International Jewish Cemetery Project - Malta

Inactive Jewish cemetery name. Source: Lawrence Attard-Bezzina, Chairperson; Malta-Israel Cultural & Friendship Society, c/o Sabra House, M B Consiglii street, fgura PLA 16, Malta-Europe; Tel / Fax: ++ 356 676926; email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

http://www.angelfire.com/sys/popup_source.shtml?Category=" In active use into 19th century. "The Kalkara cemetery is the earliest surviving Jewish burial ground in Malta. Kalkara lies in the south-east side of the Grand Harbour area. As one leaves the harbour, it is the third of four promontories, separated by creeks, opposite Valletta. ... The cemetery entrance is at the bottom of Rinella Street, where the street turns to run down to the modern church of St. Joseph and its square beside Kalkara Creek. The place is about 30 feet by 40 feet, bounded by houses, and at the front by a retaining wall, the Latin inscription reads: "This cemetery was established in 1784 by the Leghorn fund for ransoming Hebrew slaves, at its own expenses, for the burial of the dead of its race.". Its elevation, some 8 feet above street level, suggests that the lie of the ground has been altered, probably in subsequent construction. The present entrance, a narrow wooden door, with steep, narrow steps at right angles to it..." Source and for complete information, see http://www.angelfire.com/al/AttardBezzinaLawrenc with link to the excellent Kalkara Cemetery site offering descriptions, photographs, and full documentation. [October 2000]