FUNCHAL: PDF Print E-mail
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Madeira
  • Cemiterio Israelita do Funchal
    The abandoned Jewish Cemetery existed at Funchal since 1851. Jews arrived in Funchal in 1844 from Gibraltar. Source: Dr. Saul Issroff This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
    UPDATE: http://www.saudades.org/funchal.html "Several graves ... belonged to German Jewish people ... several Jewish doctors who settled in Funchal and commuted to Lisbon. Other settlers were businessmen from Austria and Czechoslovakia. ... the sad situation with the location of the Jewish Cemetery of Funchal, Madeira. The cemetery land is located on a hillside next to the Atlantic Ocean. Due to erosion on several areas, portions of the cemetery land had fallen into the sea below. Fortunately, there were no graves near these areas and none were lost. There was great concern that if the erosion became more severe and more often, there would be a danger of the graves also falling, due to the terrain breaking loose. ... The Funchal Jewish Cemetery Restoration Fund Inc. ...  only the Faro Jewish Cemetery has been restored. There is not a single Jewish organisation that overseas proper care of abandoned cemeteries. ... On the east of the city adjoining the Caminho do Lazareto is the Jewish burial ground. Over the entrance gates are written in Hebrew: " House of the Living" This cemetery is relatively "new" as Judaism was not openly practiced on the island. Although there was a large 'Crypto' (secret) Jewish community from the 15 or 16th century, there is no documentation. This is the only remaining remnant of a Jewish presence on the beautiful island of Madeira." A burial list with dates follows. [October 2005]
Last Updated on Sunday, 18 January 2009 00:32
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution