WASHINGTON: (St. Landry Parish) Print

WASHINGTON: (St. Landry Parish)
Also see Opelousas. (population approximately 1,200);

Hebrew Rest Jewish Cemetery: at AJA . American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488. 513-221-1875 (tel); 513-221-7812 (fax). E-mail: AJA contact form is Ms. Miriam M. Klaus' autobiographical questionnaire, including related correspondence and list of people buried in the Hebrew Rest Jewish Cemetery. Opelousas and Washington, LA. 1980 Restricted. Miscellaneous file

One of two Jewish cemeteries in St. Landry Parish, the other being in Opelousas. It serves the tiny--and now nearly defunct -- Jewish community of Washington and the surrounding plantation country. This community dates its establishment from about the time of the Civil War. Hebrew Rest Cemetery was established in 1866 and is still in use. The cemetery is about one-acre in size and is located near the northern edge of the town of Washington on Vine Street, occupying most of the block bounded by Vine Street, Cedar Hill Drive, Kavanaugh Street, and Hill Street. There is also an entrance on Hill Street. The main entrance, off Vine Street, is directly opposite the Catholic Cedar Hill Cemetery. Hebrew Rest Cemetery is fenced in chain link, though traces of the original gates remain at this writing. The cemetery is largely open and devoid of foliage, though large trees and bushes are found along its southern edge, away from the area occupied by the burials. Source: Eric J. Brock, Historic Preservation & Planning Consulting, P.O. Box 5877 Shreveport, LA 71135-5877 (318) 797-6765. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it (July 10, 1996)


Last Updated on Saturday, 17 April 2010 16:20