Mile End Cemeteries: LONDON Print

Mile End - Nuevo (New) Beth Chaim Cemetery, 320 Mile End Road, London E.1. (Spanish and Portuguese)

  • At 329 Mile End Road, is a disused Spanish and Portuguese cemetery, acquired in 1725 and first used in 1733. Sephardi Nuevo (New) - a.k.a., Beth Haim Novo Cemetery (Spanish & Portuguese), Mile End Road (1733) http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gendocs/index.html 
  • The site contains the grave of Haim Benjamin Artom among the 2,000 graves remaining. The cemetery has been sold. Some 7,500 remains and tombstones of people buried 1734-1876 were moved in 1974 to a small cemetery in Brentwood, when the major part of the cemetery was destroyed.
  • The first issue of "the Cable" - the magazine of the the Jewish East End Celebration Society (JEECS) in 2006, contains an article on "The Burial Grounds of the Resettlement" by Sharman Kadish.
  • See also http://www.CemeteryScribes.com
  •  

            GENPALS_Nuevo_cem_Oct08              

    • Site at Brentwood Cemetery, Essex, where the remains of those initially buried at the Nuevo Beth Chaim Cemetery between 1734 and 1876 were re-interred in 1974.
    • (Photo Credit: copyright G. Laws, and CemeteryScribes.com)
      See also http://www.CemeteryScribes.com 
    • Apparently no photographs were taken of the 1734-1876 section of the Nuevo Beth Chaim Cemetery prior to its destruction.
  • Mile End - Mile End - "Velho" (Old) Cemetery, behind 253 Mile End Rd, London E.1 (Spanish & Portuguese) (disused):

  • This old Sephardi cemetery, situated behind 253 Mile End Rd., where the Sephardic Home for the Aged (Beth Holim) was located before moving to Wembley, is the first Resettlement cemetery acquired this, the oldest existing Anglo-Saxon cemetery that opened in 1657. Abraham Fernandez Carvajal, the founder of the modern Anglo-Jewish community, is buried here as are Haman David Nieto, one of the greatest Sephardic spiritual leaders and physician Dr. Fernando Mendes. Source: The Jewish Travel Guide. London: Jewish Chronicle, 1992.
  • The oldest Resettlement Period cemetery in London, purchased in 1657, is situated at 253 Mile End Road near Mile End Hospital on Bancroft Road behind the Students' Hostel and the former Sephardic Home for the Aged. A plaque attached to the hostel wall bears the name of Sir Albert Stern, who was responsible for the development of the battle tank during the First World War. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gendocs/index.html.
  • The first issue of "the Cable" - the magazine of the the Jewish East End Celebration Society (JEECS), 2006, contains an article on "The Burial Grounds of the Resettlement" by Sharman Kadish.
  • Following the readmission of the Jews to England...the first Jew to be buried in London's [and England's] first Jewish cemetery, the Velho Spanish & Portuguese Cemetery, was Mrs Isaac de Brito, who died on 4 Elul 5417 (1657). Source; David Jacobs - The Graveside of History - Shemot [December 1997]
Last Updated on Friday, 12 April 2013 12:36