|Alderney Road Cemetery: LONDON|
Alderney Road Cemetery, Stepney, London E.1 (United Synagogue) +44 20 8970 1445 (disused).
This burial ground was started about 1697, extended in 1749 and closed in 1852, making it the second oldest Jewish cemetery in London and the oldest Ashkenazi cemetery in the United Kingdom. Near Stepney Green Station and the site of the old People's Palace, it was described originally as being in Three Colt Yard in the Hamlet of Mile End Old Town. Belonging originally to the Great Synagogue at Dukes Place. Source: Harold Lewin.
A great deal of detailed information can be found at http://www.jewishgen.org/JCR-UK/susser/alderneyroad.htm including a list of the burials and inscriptions in the Alderney Road, London E1 Cemetery 1697 - 1853 from the Susser Archives. [December 2003]
Book: Alderney Road Jewish Cemetery, London E1, 1697-1853: Anglo-Jewry's Oldest Ashkenazi Cemetery. Edited and Introduced by Bernard Susser. Published by United Synagogue Publications in association with the Working Party on Jewish Monuments, London 1997 111pp ISBN 1 873474 50 4. Contains a complete list of burials, inscriptions and sketches of many stones as well as indexes of Hebrew and English names. Obtainable from JMC Bookshop, 25 Enford Street, London W1H 2DD, FAX: 0044-171-706-1710. Source: Sharman Kadish, Project Director, Survey of the Jewish Built Heritage in the UK & Ireland. Alderney Road Cemetery (Orthodox), Alderney Road, E. London (1697-1852).
The United Synagogue Burial Society for additional information about tombstone maintenance, including cleaning at 020 8950 7767 and select option 2. Melvyn Hartog, Head of Burial, Tel: 020 8343 6283 [June 2011]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 15 January 2017 17:51|