LEIPZIG [Podlaskie, Lipsk]: Sachsen
Alternate names: Lipsk [Yiddish]. 51°20′0″N12°23′0″E. (93 miles) south of Berlin at the confluence of the White Elster, Pleisse, and Parthe rivers at the southerly end of the North German Plain.
LEIPZIG: 04103, 04129 Saxony (Gerz, Peters).
Jewish settlement in Leipzig began in the first half of 17th century. In 1643, King Ladislaus IV gave Leipzig Jews privileges on 15 March 1679 that Jan III Sobieski confirmed guaranteeing the right of the Jews to build a synagogue, own property, and manufacture and sell alcoholic beverages. In 1680, ten Jews lived in the village. The history of Jews in Leipzig has been volatile. Jews never were the majority of the population. Jewish population: 1799 - 171 (19.5%); 1820 - 264; 1860 - 464 (26.8%); 1900 - 510 (32.6%). WWI and the subsequent economic crisis encouraged immigration, reducing their number in Leipzig. By 1921, only 87 Jews remained. In 1941 the Nazis deported all Jews to the ghetto in Grodno and later to death camps. Today, one tangible sign of the presence of Jews in Leipzig is a small cemetery located on the back road northeast of the town, visible from afar as a clump of trees. The 0.5 hectare cemetery probably dates from the 18th century. The few remaining gravestones are mostly rough granite. On the edge of the cemetery is a monument inscribed: Leipzig Jews - Residents. Photos [May 2009]
- Berliner Str.
- Strasse d. Dt.-Sowjet. Freundschaft.
Der alte israelitische Friedhof in Leipzig, by Paul Benndorf. In: Leipziger Kalender 12 (1925).
Der Neue Israelitische Friedhof; by Wolfgang Grundmann. In: Leipzig-Aus Vergangenheit und Gegenwart; Beitraege zur Stadtgeschichte 6. Leipzig: Fachbuchverlag 1989, ISBN 3-343-00467-7.
Chronik der Juden in Leipzig by Adolf Diamant. Chemnitz, Leipzig: Heimatland Sachsen 1993, ISBN 3-910186-08-4, 836 pp. [Ch. 7 "Die Friedhoefe": 321-361. (DS135.G4 L453 1993).
Last Updated on Saturday, 07 December 2013 05:07