|ZELVA: Vilnius county, Ukmerge district|
Alternate names: Želva [Lith], Pazelva [Yid], Podzelva [Rus], Pazhevla, Podzelve, Podzhelve, Pozelva, Pozelwa, Zelwa, Zelve, Žēlva, Zhelva, Zhyalva, Želvos, פּאָדזעלווע-Yiddish. 55°13' N, 25°06' E, 38 miles NNW of Vilnius, 14 miles E of Ukmergė (Vilkomir).
ShtetLink. Eleven families were listed in "Podzelwy" village in the Vilkomir kahal up to the 18th century, when Pazelva was subordinate to Vilkomir Jewish community and shared the cemetery. A rebellion occurred; and Pazelva Jews established their own cemetery. Jewish population in 1939 was about 400. [March 2009]
Two other towns named Zelwa, formerly in Lithuania, are now in Belarus. Not Zelva/Zelwa, Belarus, in Volkovisk district, Grodno Guberniya or Zelwa in Lida uezd. See Belarus for more information. [January 2001]
CEMETERY: Jewish cemetery, not far from the high school. [March 2009]
MASS GRAVE: Zelva Jewish cemetery; 178; pic. # 319 and pine forest of Pivonija, about 4 km from Ukmerge; 177-178; pic. #315-318 US Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad 
On August 22nd, 1941 the local police chief transferred 125 Jews to Vilkomir jail and presumably were murdered with the Jews of Vilkomir. On September 5th, the Germans instructed all Jews to assemble at dawn at Motel Heller's barn from which they were transported by carriages owned by area farmers to Pivonija forest and were murdered and buried in a mass grave with thousands of other Jews from the area. Several families hid, but were found shorly afterwards and murdered also. After the war, a mass grave with sixty bodies was found in the Zelva's Jewish cemetery. [March 2009]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 09 October 2010 13:24|