ZEIMIAI: Kaunas County, Jonava district Print

Alternate names: Žeimiai [Lith], Zheim [Yid], Żejmy [Pol], Zheymyay, Zheymy, Žeimių, Žeimis, Žeimė, Jeimi, Yenovo Zheim, Yanovo Zheimi, Zhaim. 55°11' N, 24°13' E, 12 miles SE of Kėdainiai (Keidan), 7 miles NNW of Jonava (Yanova) in central Lithuania, north of the Sventoji River. Jewish population of 123 in 1923. [March 2009]

Cemetery information. Jewish history. [September 2010]

MASS GRAVE: In 1847, 753 Jews had a synagogue. Around 1880, immigration diminished the population. Before WWI, 60 Jewish families resided in Zheim. 1923 population: 110 Jews out of 662 owned nine of the ten stores and a flourmill. At the summer of 1941, during the occupation of Lithuania by the Germans, 20 Jews remained in Zheim. At the end of July or the beginning of August 1941, they were transferred to Keidaniai Ghetto where most were murdered on August 28 (5 Elul 5701) by Lithuanian collaborators. Kedainiai, near the airport at Smilga river Zelva in Jewish cemetery; 100; pic. # 107-108 US Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad [March 2009]

Another Zeimiai in Russian Yenovo Zheim (Yanovo Zheimi) is located at 55° 17' N / 24° 41' E in Siauliai District, 19.6 miles ENE of this Zeimiai and about 14 km from the village Koplizia, a former Jewish settlement. Before WWI about 60 Jewish families lived in the village, but just before World War II, only 20 families remained because most Jews emigrated to South Africa and the U.S.A. The village had a beit midrash and a cheder with ten students. [March 2009]

Last Updated on Saturday, 25 September 2010 14:10