TVERAI: Kovno Print

Alternate names: Tverai [Lith], Tver [Yid], Tvery [Rus], Twery [Pol], Tverų, Tveray, Russian: Тверы. 55°44' N, 22°09' E, 18 miles SSW of Telšiai (Telz). 1900 Jewish population: 173. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), XII, p. 684: "Twery". 1900 Jewish population: 173. In NW Lithuania in Zhamot area, the city had a weekly market and a yearly fair since 1640. In Czarist Russian (1795-1915), Tver was part of Vilna guberniya and then Kovno guberniya. In 1935 most of the eighteen Jewish families living there owned land and were farmers. Eight families had small stores. The economic crisis of the 1930s negatively affected the Jews. A Lithuanian school for children did not accept Jewish children. Since no Jewish cemetery existed in Tver, the Jews were buried in Varniai or Ritavas. [March 2009]

MASS GRAVES: Near the village of Geruliai, 10 km of Telsiai; 172; pic. # 300. Near the village of Tverai, Tverai county; 141; pic. # 210 US Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad

 

Last Updated on Saturday, 04 April 2009 14:51