SUDARGAS: Suwalki Print

Alternate names: Sudargas [Lith], Sudarg [Yid], Sudargi [Rus], Sudargai, Sudargo, Sudargis, סודאַרג- Yiddish. 55°03' N, 22°38' E, 5 miles WSW of Jurbarkas, 22 miles NNW of Kudirkos Naumiestis (Władysławów), in SW Lithuania in Sakiai county on the river Neiman near the border with East Prussia. The community was heavily involved in timbering. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Lithuania (Jerusalem, 1996). The first Jews probably settled in Sudarg at the end of the 1700s or early 1800s. For many years, Jews were in the majority. By 1856, 91% of the 689 inhabitants were Jewish (627). During the Republic of Lithuania, (1918-1940), Sudarg was a small town where almost all Jewish youths left and moved mainly to Kovno (Kaunas) or went abroad. 1923 showed only 257 people lived in the town. The German Army had entered Sudarg on June 22, 1941. The Germans and the Lithuanian collaborators began to plot about the thirty Jewish families. They transferred all men and two young women to Shaki, where they were murdered with the local men on July 5, (10 Tamuz). The women of Sudarg had sent a Lithuanian peasant to clarify what had happened to their men. The women and children were murdered on July 6 near the village of Kidul. ShtetLink. [March 2009]

MASS GRAVES: Near Sakiai, outskirts of Batiskiai forest, 1.5 km N of the town; 152; pic. # 245-246. Forest of Batiskiai, near village of Pervazninkai US Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad

Last Updated on Friday, 03 April 2009 22:39