You are here: Home Eastern Europe Lithuania SILALE: Kovno
SILALE: Kovno PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Šilalė [Lith], Shilel [Yid], Shileli [Rus], Szylele [Pol], Schellelen [Ger], Szyiele, Šilalės, Shilale, Russian: Шилели. שילעל-Yiddish. 55°28' N, 22°12' E, 15 miles NNW of Tauragė (Tavrig), 54 miles SW of Šiauliai (Shavl) in Rasseiniai district. River Lokysta flows through the city. 1900 Jewish population: 786. In western Lithuania, the 1923 population was 1058 and about 1,400 in 1939. In 1859 about 1,100 people lived in Silale, famous for its markets. During WWI, the town sustained extensive fire damage. Rebuilt after Lithuania regained national independence, a synagogue exists. photos. [March 2009]

CEMETERY: Along the main road that passes by the entrance to Silale is a very large field that was once the Jewish cemetery. One gravestone is visible: Eliezer Arie ben Dov Ber, 1863, one stone of what was hundreds. mass grave in cemetery: To the side of the field is a fenced garden with an enclosed memorial that marks the murder of 112 Jewish men, women, and children. [March 2009]

MASS GRAVES: 160-161 267-268. Forest of Tubines at the village of Tubines (two massacre sites); 161; pic. # 269-270.  Near the village of Zakelisikiai, county Lioliai 104; pic. # 118. Near the village of Ribukai, gravel pit, about 1 km from Lyduvenai; 147; pic. # 230 US Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad

Last Updated on Thursday, 20 August 2009 17:44
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution