RAGUVA: Kovno Print

Alternate names: Raguva [Lith], Rogeve [Yid], Rogovo [Rus], Rogów [Pol], Ragova, Rogov, Raguvos, Ragowo, Russian: Рогово. ראָגעווע-Yiddish. 55°34' N, 24°36' E, n Panevezys district, 15 miles SE of Panevėžys (Ponevezh), 23 miles NNW of Ukmergė (Vilkomir), 112 km from Vilnius, near the overgrown shores of the Neviazha River. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), IX, pp. 667-668: "Rogów" #1. Present total town population is 1,000 - 5,000 with no Jews. Before WWII, most Jews were peddlers or craftsmen like smiths and horse traders. Prospects were very limited for the young. An old towered shul and the old cemetery with headstones almost level with the ground remain were all that remained of the community after WWII. Yizkor [March 2009]

cemetery photos with map and burial list. [September 2011]

CEMETERY: A Soviet Cemetery has been placed on top of the Jewish Cemetery, which has protected status. The small rural village is on flat land and on a hillside with no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall with no gate. The 100 - 500 gravestones in the cemetery are not in original location with less than 25% broken or toppled. Vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is a constant problem, damaging stones. Water drainage at the cemetery is a seasonal problem.The memorial markers made of marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, slate, and iron are rough stones or boulders, flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, and sculpted monuments with Hebrew and Yiddish inscriptions. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns the property. Properties adjacent to cemetery are agricultural and residential. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries are smaller. The cemetery is visited rarely by private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish). The cemetery was vandalized (stones overturned, broken or stolen; graffiti painted on walls or stones, etc.; graves desecrated) during WWII. Care has been vegetation clearing by local/municipal authorities. No maintenance. No caretaker. No structures. No threats. Grant Arthur Gochin completed the questionaire on 29 August 2007. He visited the site with Dr. Egle Bendikaite, Professor of History at Vilnius University. The cemeteryis under active restoration. [September 2007]

Last Updated on Tuesday, 27 September 2011 11:31