KVEDARNA: Kovno Print

Alternate names: Kvėdarna [Lith], Khveidan [Yid], Konstantinovo [Rus], Chwejdany [Pol], Kvėdaina, Chveidan, Chveidany, Khvaydan. 55°33' N, 22°00' E, 32 miles SSW of Telšiai (Telz), 24 miles NNW of Tauragė (Tavrig). 1900 Jewish population: 671.Kvedarna is near the western boundary of Lithuania,on the coastal plain about 35 miles from the Baltic sea. The countryside between Kvedarna and the coast is low-lying and marshy. [March 2009] ShtetLink [October 2000]

CEMETERY: On the outskirts of the town, the Jewish cemetery is still there wit a number of headstones still standing, but many of bear inscriptions that are partly in English, erected by relatives of the deceased later. photos. map [March 2009]

MASS GRAVE near Neishtot: Trucks filled with Jews from Pajuris, Shvekshna, Veivirzenai, Rietava, Kvedarna, and Laukuva were brought to Heidekrug labor camp, about 15 km from Neishtot, and shot and buried. [March 2009]

Last Updated on Sunday, 05 April 2009 13:32