Alternate names: Josvainiai [Lith], Iasvoĭni [Rus], Yosvain [Yid], Yosven, Yasvoyni, Iosvaynyay, Russian: Ясвойни. יאָסווען - Yiddish. 55°15' N, 23°50' E, 6 miles WSW of Kėdainiai (Keidan), 24 miles N of Kaunas (Kovno). 1900 Jewish population: 534. [March 2009]
Wikipedia article. Jews first settled in Josvainiai in the 17th century.1897Jewish population: 534, 40% of the total population, with a synagogue and a Jewish school. Most Jews were expelled during WWI during which time a large part of the town burned down. Before the Holocaust, the Jewish population was 270, about 70 families that lived around the market place and nearby streets. [October 2010]
CEMETERY: Picture of a Wolpe tombstone was in the Washington Jewish Week, March 5, 1998, p. 21. Other stones are shown in background.
Cemetery information. [September 2010]
MASS GRAVE: At the road Josvainiai-Ariogala outside of the town (the exact place is unknown). [March 2009]
|Last Updated on Saturday, 25 September 2010 17:38|