|ALSEDZIAI: Telsiai uezd, Kaunas gubernia|
Alternate names: Alsėdžiai [Lith], Ol'siadi [Rus], Alshad [Yid], Alsiad [Yid], Olsiady [Pol], Alsyad, Alsėdžių, Al'sedzhyay, Alsedzhay, Alsiedē, Olshadi, Russian: Ольсяды. אַלסיאד-Yiddish. 56°02' N, 22°03' E, 11 miles NE of Plungė, 8 miles WNW of Telšiai (Telz). 1900 Jewish population: 295. yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Lithuania (Jerusalem, 1996). Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), VII, p. 494: "Olsiady". In the province of Zemaitija (Samogitia) at the confluence of the tributary Sruoja and the Varduva river, 13 km NW of Telsiai, the population was 60 in 1860; 1,102 in 1903; and 1,049 in 1923. 5 km south is a lake by the same name and a forest to the SE in a hilly and scenic area. The Telsai District Research Group has a great deal of data on this town and Telsai district including Alsedzhiai, Barstyciai, Darbenai, Gargzdai, Kretinga, Laukuva, Mosedis, Pavandene, Pikeliai, Plunge, Salantai, Seda, Skudoas, Varniai, Yiakai, and Zidikai. Most of the towns are searchable on the ALD. Village photo. Alsėdžiai is a small town in the Plungė district municipality. It is near the Sruoja River, 20 km far from Plungė. [March 2009]
CEMETERY: Near the village of Geruliai, 10 km E of Telsiai; 172, pic.# 300. Telsiai, near the property of dairy company "Zemaitijos pienas"; 175; pic. # 310. Source: US Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad. US Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad
MASS GRAVES: Forest of Rase, 2 km from Utena; 179-181; pic. # 320-326 US Commission for the Preservation of America's Heritage Abroad. Telšiai, Giruliai forest on August 14 and 30, 1941.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 18 August 2009 11:10|