You are here: Home Eastern Europe Latvia GROBIN: Liepaja District. Courland (Kurzeme)
GROBIN: Liepaja District. Courland (Kurzeme) PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Grobiņa [Latv], Grobin [גרובין-Yid, Гробин-Rus, Ger, Pol], Gruobinia [Lith], Grobinya, Gerobin. 56°33' N, 21°10' E , 6 miles ENE of Liepāja (Libau). 

Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 454: "Grobina".

Pinkas HaKehilot, Latvia and Estonia (1988), p. 77: "Grobiņa".

Shtetl Finder (1989), p. 26: "Grobin".

Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), II, p. 810: "Grobin".

JewishGen Latvia SIG

Grobiņa in western Latvia, 11 km east of Liepāja was founded by the Teutonic Knights in the 13th century. Some ruins of their castle are still visible. The town was granted its charter in 1695. Excavations from Finnish presence are present.

New Cemetery: dated from early 20th century. Go 4 km from the city toward Barta, then 1.4 km on the left in a forest up to the cemetery Limbiki and then 600 m behind a cemetery in a forest.

Old Cemetery: Located opposite house at Park Street 3. Dates from 19th century.

See burial list All Latvia Cemetery List [March 2009] See burial list. [January 2011]

Last Updated on Sunday, 16 January 2011 15:53
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution