Alternate names: Grīva [Latv], Griva [Rus], Griwa [Ger], Grive [Yid], Gryva [Lith], Grzywka [Pol]. 55°51' N, 26°30' E in SW Latvia, 3 miles SSW of Daugavpils (Dvinsk), across the Dvina River. At the end of 19 - th century in Griva there were both old believer, and Jewish temples, but did not have their own churches the Roman Catholic parish. A big fire in 1945 left Griva in ashes. photo of Jewish shops in Griva. Within the week of German entry into Kraslova, Jews of Kraslova, Griva, Preili, Vishki, Livani, Dagda and smaller shtetls were ordered to collect in three synagogues in Kraslava for deportation on July 28, 1941. Allowed to hire carts to bring processions with them, they were guarded overnight at the crowded synagogues by the Latvian auxiliary police and the following day were escorted by the police in carts and on foot 40 km to the newly established Ghetto in Daugavpils. Source with much more information. [March 2009] Kalkune municipality
REFERENCES: [March 2009]
Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 454: "Griva".
Shtetl Finder (1980), p. 26: "Griva, Grivo".
|Last Updated on Sunday, 16 January 2011 16:20|