Alternate names: Balvi [Latv], Bolovsk [Rus], Bołowsk [Pol], Bolwen [Ger], Bulavai [Yid], Balvai [Lith], Bolvi, Balvy, Bolwa. 57°08' N, 27°15' E, in NE Latvia, 44 miles N of Rēzekne (Rezhitsa), 17 miles WSW of Vilyaka. 1925 Jewish population: 487. 2010 population: 7,997 with no Jews. Town is in the Latgalia region of eastern Latvia and is the administrative seat of the region (Latvian: rajons) of the same name since 1949. The name derives from the stream Bolupīte and the adjacent lake. Most of the town's Jews (about 19% of the population) perished in the Stahlecker effort in August 1941. The retreating Germans set fire to Balvi in July 1944,
Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 83: "Balvi".
See burial list All Latvia Cemetery List [March 2009]
Burial list. [January 2011]
MASS GRAVE: Celmene (Kubuli: 57°09' N 27°12' E , 117.2 miles E of Rīga) mass grave is located in the administrative unit of Kubuli with no signs for the site. Take the road from Balvi to Silaciems in Celmene. 1 km after passing the river Kurma, turn right and go 200m.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 15 January 2011 16:53|