PADUCAH: McCracken County Print

general McCracken County information and death record links. [August 2005]

Synagogue Temple Israel HISTORICAL MARKER (Marker Number: 1058):Location: 28th & Monroe, Paducah: organized Jewish community has existed in Paducah since 1864, when Paducah Chevra Yeshurun Burial Society was chartered. The first Jewish house of worship in Paducah was established in 1871, located on the east side of South Fifth between Clark and Adams. In 1873, the Paducah Jewish congregation became charter member, Union of American Hebrew Congregations. (Reverse) Temple Israel - In 1893 a new structure was built on the southeast corner of Seventh and Broadway and incorporated as Temple Israel. That temple served as home for the congregation until May, 1963 when Temple Israel on southeast corner of Madison and Joe Clifton Drive was dedicated. Temple Israel Cemetery is located on Lone Oak Highway. Presented by Temple. [August 2005]

CEMETERY:

Temple Israel Cemetery, Inc.: {10111} Located on Hwy 45, Lone Oak road south toward Mayfield. In use since 1850s; Contact: Elliot Baskin (Treasurer: Baskin residence 502-442-6487, Business: 5O2-442-0488) or Jack Tick (Chairman Cemetery Comm.: Tick - Residence: 502-442-8556.) Temple Israel, 330 Joe Clifton Drive, P.0.Box 1141, Paducah, KY 42002-1141; (502)442-4104. Gates open 7 am 'til sunset except Saturdays. 419 graves are used; 680 graves are still available. Temple Israel Cemetery is located on the northwest side of Highway 45 (Lone Oak Road) across the street from Wleich Road and next to the Mount Kenton Cemetery. Compiled by Steve A. Birchfield May 1993. Source: Rosanne D. Leeson,

Next to the larger Mt Kenton Cemetery, has a low wrought iron fence and gate surrounding the Jewish cemetery. The number of large markers and mausoleums near the front fence also can distinguish the cemetery from Mt. Kenton. Graves are placed together rather closely, especially in comparison to those in Mt. Kenton. The cemetery is very well maintained. Because of the size and variety of markers, it gives one the impression of an ideal old country cemetery. Although some burials occurred during the Civil War era, most of the older markers date from the 1870s and 1880s. A number of these also have partial inscription in German, Hebrew, or Yiddish. Even on the older stones, Jewish symbols are rare. Victorian symbols and art such as sleeping lambs are common. The earlier stones often list the birthplace of immigrants such as the southern German towns of Hechingen and Hohenzollern. Place of death is also listed on a number of markers, recording that Jewish settlers from other towns in southern Illinois and western Kentucky were buried in Temple Israel Cemetery.

Many of these early markers are in good condition; few inscriptions are rather faint. Most graves seem to be arranged in family plots, although there are a number of single burials. Around 1900, a number of families set up large mausoleums while others began to use a standardized flat-to-the-ground slab as marker. These slabs were rather plain and never display Jewish symbols, Hebrew letters, or any information beyond names and dates. More recent stones are typical contemporary Jewish headstones - some Hebrew and symbols. Source: Brad Trevathan, Associate Instructor in History, The Culver Academies, Culver, IN: t [date?]

burial record and photos [Mar 2014]

 

Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 June 2014 00:00