Rome Jewish Community: 112796 Comunita Israelitica di Roma, Lungotevere Cenci, Rome 00186; (06) 655051 [October 2001]
Jewish Rome [February 2010]
Jewish Museum of Rome, Lungetovere Cenci 9, Tel. 65-64-648. Alternate Italian name is Roma. Current town population: circa 4 million. Town's current Jewish population: circa 15,000 - 20,000.
- Ardeatine Caves on outskirts of Rome was the site of the March 1944 massacre of 335 people, of whom seventy were Jewish. Monument and cemetery. Source:
- "Rose Garden": "The area, overlooking the Circus Maximus, became a Jewish cemetery in the 17th century when Rome's papal ruler, Pope Innocent X, granted permission to the Jewish community to purchase the land for that purpose.In 1934, the governorship of Rome expropriated the land in order to build a new road, the Via Del Circo Massimo. The Jewish community tried to resist, but ultimately their leaders could not avoid making a deal with the governorship, who promised to build a Jewish school and ensure that all the bodies resting there would be carefully moved to a new cemetery.At that time, Italy was already under the regime of fascist dictator Benito Mussolini. The new road was supposed to be ready for a parade to celebrate the 12th anniversary of the notorious March of Rome, the insurrection by which Mussolini came to power in October 1922."In order to meet the deadline, the building firm insisted on performing the exhumation also on Saturdays and Jewish holidays, when the Jewish supervisors who were promised the opportunity to monitor the process could not be present," [tour guide Salvatore] Ianni says."Therefore, thousands of corpses were moved, but thousands are still buried here, both under the Rose Garden and the road," he adds. Only a small monument recalls the history of the site.Source [May 2016]
- Prima Porta Cemetery: Via Israelitica. "There is a Jewish section of Prima Porta Cemetery on the outskirts of Rome." Source: World Jewry from World Jewish Congress, Feb 1997.
Verano: Via Tiburtina. open daily. map.
- posting on the Russian language forum, Jewish Roots notes an alphabetical list of Russian Jews buried in Verano Cemetery in Russian, in "Russian Necropolis", 1996 by Wanda Gasperovich. Some have dates of death. A few names are AUERBACH, BEGELINA (b. Gurkovich),GAYSINSKY, GLICKMAN (b. Salamanovich), MADIN, MARKOV, RABINOVICH, ROZMAN, ZUCKERMAN, TSYKUN, ZEITLIN, SHOFIZOVICH, KHOMITSKAYA, et al. [November 2012]
- Appian, Nomentana, Labicana and Portuense Roads Catacombs: Four Jewish catacombs were discovered along the Appian, Nomentana, Labicana and Portuense roads. The last of these contains the remains of the Jews of Trastevere, probably the most ancient Jewish cemetery so far discovered in Italy. A large collection of these catacombs' 1st to 6th century gravestones with Jewish symbols and inscriptions in Greek, Latin and Hebrew can be seen at the Sala Judaica at the Vatican Museum. They provide precious documentation of the civil and religious life of the first Jewish settlers in Rome.
- Catacomb in the ex-vigna Cimarra: Postal address of cemetery is via di San Sebastiano, No. 28. Person to contact about grave locations: Soprintendenza Archeologica di Roma, Piazza delle Finanze, no. 1 00185 Rome.
The earliest known Jewish community in town dates from the third century BCE. Cemetery's founding date is not certain. Rome is Europe's oldest continuous Jewish community. The cemetery is not land-marked. No caretaker. The cemetery is inactive and has been since no later than fourth century CE, used by Jews in Ancient Rome.
The suburban subterranean, i.e. catacomb) is separate, but near catacombs of St. Sebastian and hypogaeum Polimanti. Turning off a private road and crossing private property reach the cemetery. Access to the cemetery is open with permission of Soprintendenza Archeologica di Roma. A continuous masonry wall, a broken fence, and a locking gate surround the cemetery. Gravestones were removed from the cemetery are in the De Rossi Collection at the Pontifical Institute of Christian Archaeology in Rome and the Lapidary collection at the Church of St. Sebastian's Outside the Walls (Rome.) The museum is the Pontifical Institute of Christian Archaeology in Rome. Private collections also have stones.
Some of the marble flat, or finely smoothed and inscribed stones or sculpted monuments have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to archon (official), mellogrammateus (official); and member of the synagogue of the "Eleas."
Private individual(s own the cemetery property now used for private family residence. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The site is virtually inaccessible because of private ownership. No vandalism or maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is a mausoleum building.
Very serious threats are vandalism, security (uncontrolled access, weather erosion, and incompatible nearby development. The vegetation overgrowth in the cemetery is not a problem. Water drainage at the cemetery is a constant problem, disturbing tombstones or graves.
International Catacomb Society, P.O. Box 130439, Boston, Massachusetts, 02109-1306 USA, (617) 742-1285,
: visited the site and completed the survey on August 6, 2002. Documentation was independent research. Other documentation exists but was not used because it was too old and too general. Workers digging for pozzolana on the property of Count Cimarra discovered this underground cemetery or "catacomb" in 1866. Briefly described by Giovanni Battista de Rossi in the Bollettino di Archeologia Cristiana of the following year. The property has changed hands quite recently. Access to the site is now blocked by modern debris filling many of the galleries. A well nearby has led to much water infiltration inside the catacomb.
Geschichte der Juden in Rom [The History of the Jews of Rome] by Dr. A. Berliner, Frankfurt am Main, 1893. This two-volume set of books includes the history "from the oldest times to the present" and covers a span of 2050 years. The index lists many references to families and individual names. Source:
, who has the book.
Die Inschriften der juedischen Katakombe am Monteverde zu Rom entdeckt und erklaert von Nikolaus Mueller (1857-1912); nach des Verfassers Tode vervollstaendigt und herausgegeben von Nikos; A. Bees. Leipzig: Harrassowitz, 1919. IX, 184p. illus. 33cm. (Schriften herausgegeben von der Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der Wissenschaft des Judentums) Added title-page. At the Leo Baeck Institute : ID # f GT 3252 R6 M8
Die juedische Katakombe am Monteverde zu Rom; Der aelteste bisher bekannt gewordene Friedhof des Abendlandes von Mueller, Nikolaus, 1857-1912 Leipzig: Fock, 1912. 142p. 22cm. (Schriften herausgegeben von der Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der Wissenschaft des Judentums) Bibliographical footnotes. Added title page. At the Leo Baeck Institute : ID # GT 3252 R6 M82