32º26' 34º55'. Chevra Kadisha, David Mashteh (Chairman), Simtat Pelatrin, P.O. Box 377, Hedera, 38103. Tel: 052-610-841, 06-632-4040, home: 06-331-016
- Rehov Herbert Samuel: old cemetery
- Rehov Ben-Zvi: new cemetery. Address: Hadera/Elyachim Road. Present town population is 80,000, all Jewish.
Contact People: Office Manager: Hayim Haberman (06-633 0353), who speaks some English. Administrator: David Mishte 06-634 4040, who speaks Hebrew only. The cemetery is not locked. The earliest known Jewish community in town was in 1891. The 1891urban, municipal cemetery is located on flat land and a hillside. A sign in Hebrew marks it. The cemetery is reached by turning directly off a public road and is open to all. A continuous fence surrounds the cemetery, not divided into special sections. The oldest known gravestone is dated 1891. Tombstones in the cemetery are datable from the 19th century. The tombstones and memorial markers are made of marble, granite and iron that are rough stones or boulders, flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones, sculpted monuments, multi- stone monuments and obelisks. The cemetery has tombstones with traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, bronze decorations or lettering and metal fences around graves. Inscriptions on tombstones are in Hebrew, Yiddish, Russian or French. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims and Jewish soldiers. The cemetery contains unmarked graves (babies). The present owner is the local Jewish community and the municipality. Properties adjacent to the cemetery are recreational, agricultural and residential. The cemetery is visited frequently. The cemetery is cared for regularly by a caretaker paid by the Jewish Congregation of Hadera, Chevra Kadisha and the government, indirectly. Within the limit of the cemetery is a pre-burial house with a tahara (table), an ohel, and a water tower. Shmuel Shimshoni, Pinsker St 5, Hadera 38428, Israel, Tel: 06-633 0553 completed this questionnaire on March 1, 1997. Chevra Kadisha Records were used to complete this survey. Mr. Shimshoni, who is a volunteer for the Chevra Kadisha, visited the site for this survey.