Douglas (Doolish in the Manx Language) is the capital of the Isle of Man, situated on the west side of the island.
The main municipal cemetery in Douglas, the Douglas Borough Cemetery, has a Jewish section on an enclosed plot in the north-east corner of the cemetery.It was established during World War II (first burials in 1940). Many of the first burials were Jewish internees at the "enemy alien" internment camps on the island, who had been refugees from Germany, Austria etc. [Source: David Shulman, Webmaster JCR-UK) For the list of graves in the Jewish section of the cemetery, compiled by Harold Pollins, see Douglas Borough Cemetery Jewish Section on the JCR-UK website. Harold Pollins has also photographs of most of the stones but a few are very indistinct or otherwise difficult to read. [September 2006]
The earliest burial was a baby, Eva Hermann, 11 November 1940, the day-old child of inmates at the Port Erin Camp....Most of the other tombstones of internees are plain millitary-style stone markers decorated with a Magen David. However, a cluster of four such gravestones placed back to back, in a separate corner, together with the slate stone of artist Arthur Paunzen, lack a star. According to the records, his was the earliest burial in the entire plot: d 8 and buried on 10 August 1940. Perhaps their Jewish status was doubtful. [Source: Sharman Kadish - Jewish Heritage in England, 2006]