You are here: Home British Isles Republic of Ireland DUBLIN: (3 burial sites):
DUBLIN: (3 burial sites): PDF Print E-mail

For information on the Jewish community and congregations of Dublin, see Dublin on JCR-UK.

The first Jewish Syna in Ireland was established in 1660. By March 1890, the immigrant Jews (numbering about 700) wished to build a synagogue because they lacked adequate accommodation for religious worship and started to raise funds for the project. In March 1892, they issued an appeal to their fellow-citizens in Dublin in the following terms: "The Jews of Dublin, having always contributed to many deserving charities in the city, they now ask their fellow-citizens to reciprocate and help them in their necessity." The major newspapers supported this appeal. The Irish Times editorial of 3rd March, 1892 said: "A small community, dwelling peacefully in our midst, appeals to-day for the first time to their Christian fellow-citizens, and we readily open our columns to make their cause public... A generous response to the appeal will lighten the labour which a small number of devoted workers have undertaken for the welfare of the many." 4th March 1892 editorial followed in the Dublin Daily Express: "We think it is the bounden duty of every Christian, no matter to what denomination he may belong, to assist the Jewish community in their pious work of raising a structure worthy of their ancient religion and of completing their schools. We sincerely second them in their efforts, and we put it also upon higher grounds. It is our manifest duty to help that people, who preserved for us by their religious zeal that great Book which is the foundation of religion and virtue." Nine months later, on Sunday 4 December 1892, the synagogue at Adelaide Road, Dublin was consecrated by the Chief Rabbi of the British Empire, the Very Rev. Dr. Herman Adler, Ph.D. Source: Niall Foley. This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it



  • Ballybough (old) Jewish Cemetery, rear of 67 Fairview Strand Fairview, Dublin D3.


This is the oldest Jewish site in Ireland, the original lease (now lost) dating from 1718. It contains some 150 marked graves and many more unmarked. It was superceded by the Dolphin Barn cemetery, which opened in 1898. David Shulman, JCR-UK Webmaster {2016]

Ballybough [pronounced Bally-bok, from the Gaelic "Baile bocht" = "town of the poor"]. The Cemetery is older than the Alderney Road (Mile End) cemetery in London that was acquired in 1725 by the Great Synagogue, London. Ballybough's list of surviving headstone inscriptions shows the earliest legible marker dated 1777, marking the grave of Jacob Wills, otherwise "Frenchman". The last burial was in 1908 of Mrs. Juliette Harris, widow of Alderman Lewis Harris and daughter of Aaron Joseph of London. His brother, Solomon Joseph, was the father of Mrs. Herman Adler whose husband Very Rev. Dr. Herman Adler was Chief Rabbi of the British Empire. There may be other references to burials contained in published family genealogies. Only about one-seventh of an acre in size, the land close to the River Tolka was acquired in 1718. Although the cemetery is closed for burials, the Dublin Jewish Board of Guardians maintains it with a resident caretaker. The caretaker's cottage at the front of the cemetery bears the words in large stone letters "Built in the year 5618". A list of inscriptions for the old cemetery in Ballybough in Dublin can be found in Louis Hyman's book, The Jews of Ireland. Many Jews at that time could not afford to raise a tombstone so there some graves without. Source: Len Yodaiken; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Caretaker: 836 9756

For an interesting and informative article about the cemetery, see "5618 and all that - The Jewish Cemetery Fairview Strand" - a PDF file.  David Shulman, JCR-UK Webmaster [September 2006]

The JewishGern On-Line Worldwide Burial Register (JOWBR) includes some 150 records in respect of this cemetery.

[UPDATE] Irish Times article on Fairview Cemetery, published Aug. 7, 2017. This includes a report that the Dublin Jewish Board of Guardians could no longer afford to provide maintenance of the cemetery and gatehouse (the former caretaker's cottage) and the Dublin City Council has by agrement taken them over over and intends to restore both the cemetery and the gatehouse.. [August 2017]

[UPDATE] Photos [August 2017]

[UPDATE] Ireland’s oldest Jewish cemetery transferred to Dublin City Council [September 2017]


  • Dolphins Barn: Aughavannagh Road, Dolphin's Barn, Dublin 8. Enquiries to 492-6843 or 0872 574 978


The currently active Jewish cemetery in Dublin is located at Dolphin's Barn, a short distance after one crosses the Grand Canal via the bridge from Donore Avenue. Source: Niall Foley This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

The cemetery was opened in 1898 to replace the Ballybough Jewish Cemetery. The earliest burial is that of Ze'ev, son of Gedaliya Levi Goldring, who died 6 September 1898.David Shulman, JCR-UK Webmaster [May 2016]

The Genealogical Society of Ireland will publish the memorial inscriptions of the Jewish Cemetery at Dolphin's Barn as part of its "Irish Genealogical Sources" series.  The publication will have about 3000 inscriptions. Publication is expected by the end of March 2001. Source: Michael Merrigan Hon. Secretary, GSI. email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [March 2001]


  • Progressive Jewish Cemetery: Oldcourt Road, Woodtown, Rathfaraham, County Dublin. Opened in 1952


Last Updated on Sunday, 01 October 2017 20:05
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution