General Information. Also known as Bengaḷūru and the capital of the Indian state of Karnataka. Located on the Deccan Plateau in the south-eastern part of Karnataka. Jewish presence in Bangalore is seen at Ruben House, a house on the main Old Guard road near Safina Plaza dating to at least the early 20th century that belongs to the Rubin Moses family, the only family out of the five families traced to pre-independence time who still live in Bangalore; the other four families migrated. The cemetery on Mysore road established at the beginning of the 20th century by Subedar Nowgaokar, a Beni Israeli Jew, is at a site donated to him by the Maharaja of Mysore. In the European cemetery on Hosur Road, two Jewish graves have been identified. As of 2005, the Jewish community was mostly foreign nationals employed in the city. A Chabad has been established. The 2000 year-old Jewish community in India was comprised of three groups: Bene Isreal, The Malabar Jewish community and the Iraqi Jews. [January 2010]
- European Cemetery: Bangalore is located between Bombay (now Mumbai) and Madras (now Chennai) and was the capital of Mysore Government in India. It was under British rule from 1800 to 1947.
- Two Jewish graves can be found in the European Cemetery on Hosur Road, Bangalore:
The earliest belongs to M. Horvitz, b. Australia in Runoleff, d. Bangalore on 20 June 1898. Grave is facing East to West with headstone towards the West. The headstone is engraved with writing in Hebrew. The grave is the first one at the end of the central passage of the cemetery near the gap in the wall leading to the second level of the cemetery and is on the right hand side. The grave is made of granite stone and is gray in color. I have taken a photo of it. Access under the heading "Soldiers graves from the Protestant Cemetery Hosur Road No.1"
- The second grave belongs to Rose Hickey, d. on 9 February 1917, aged 48 years, and is the last plot (Plot 5) and on the left side. The original location was Plot No.5, Row No.1. A new row has been added so that the current location is Plot No.5, Row No.2. View Headstone Source:
, [February 2006]
Last Updated on Friday, 19 February 2010 14:17