BLOOMINGTON: McLean County Print

 

Jewish Cemetery: Morris and Veterans in the southeast quadrant, south of Bloomington proper. Veteran's is a "ring" road. Morris is west of old US Hwy 51 to Clinton, IL. With approximately 50 graves, the oldest stone dates from about 1881. Many bear the surname Livingston. Source: Laurence Rohter P.E., 311 Addison Road, Riverside,IL 60546; 708-442-6163 (h); 312-567-4707 (w); email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , who visited the cemetery in June 1996.

Current town population: 100,000. Current Jewish population: 1,000. Cemetery burials are all indexed. Some burial cards have next-of-kin and biographical data. None have funeral director. Moses Montefiore congregation (102 Robinhood Lane, Bloomington, IL 61701) used this cemetery. The earliest known Jewish community in town dates possibly from 1860 and the cemetery from the late 1800's. Sig Livingston, one of the founders of the ADL, is buried there. The cemetery is active for the Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist community. The suburban locale of the site is flat land and isolated. The cemetery is reached by turning directly off a public road. Access is open to all. A continuous fence and a gate surround the cemetery. No sign. No structures. Current size: 2 acres. Inscriptions on tombstones are in English and Hebrew. The local Jewish community owns the property used only for Jewish cemetery purposes. Adjacent properties are commercial-industrial and residential. The cemetery is visited occasionally by private visitors. No known vandalism. Past maintenance: re-erection of stones, patching broken stones, fixing gate, clearing vegetation, and fixing wall by the Jewish community. Current care: regular caretaker paid by the cemetery. The survey was completed by Harry M. Stern, 24 Sunset Road, Bloomington, IL 61701-2017; 309-828-3666; on 15 Dec 1999 using records at the synagogue.

Last Updated on Thursday, 15 January 2009 15:13