|VAC: PEST [WAITZEN, VACOV, VACIUM, BASZ, VACS,VACZ]|
Alternate names: Vác [Hun], Waitzen [Ger], Vacov [Slov], Vacium [Lat], Vácz, Vacs, Vaci, Väcz. 47°47' N, 19°08' E, 20 miles N of Budapest.
Between 1570 and 1580, the Turkish census mentions a "Jewish street" with six houses. The Vác Chevra Kadisha was founded in 1844. The community elected Adolf Neumann for its first rabbi. The synagogue built in Romantic style was inaugurated in 1864. Vác synagogue on Eötvös K. utca 5 in 1984. Encyclopedia of Hungarian Jewish Communities article. [February 2009]
00- 500 gravestones, 25-50% toppled or broken, dates from 1877-20th centuries Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem that prevents access. Special sections exist for men, women, rabbis, Cohanim and suicides. The marble, granite and limestone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration, some with traces of painting on their surfaces, have inscriptions in Hebrew, German and Hungarian. The cemetery contains no known mass graves but has a pre-burial house. The owner of the still-active cemetery is the local Jewish community. Adjacent properties are residential and cemetery. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Jewish individuals within Hungary and abroad re-erected stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed wall and gate in 1989-91 with no vandalism since restoration. There is a regular caretaker. Pollution, vandalism, and vegetation are moderate threats.
Dr Keri Lajos of Budapest V and Nyary Pal of utca 5 completed the survey on 11/20/91 using M.ZS.L. (Hungarian Jewish Encyclopedia) and Orban. The site was not visited.
Cemetery was established in 1841. Neumann Adolf and Lovinger Moshe are buried here. Last known burial was 1967. Stausquo, Alsoqod, Felsogod and Szod (15km away) also used the cemetery. The suburban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has a broken and locked fence but no sign. Size before WWII and now is 0.54 hectares.
500-5000 stones, 25%-50% damaged, date from 1848-20th century with Hebrew, German, Hungarian inscriptions. Special sections exist for rabbis, Cohanim, suicides and non-members. Some have traces of paint. Special memorials to Holocaust victims and marked mass graves are present. Owner is local Jewish community. Properties adjacent are agricultural, residential, and cemetery. Boundaries are same since 1939. Pre-burial house with tahara (table) is present. Serious threats are security, vegetation, and vandalism.
Dr. Keri Lajos of Budapest V., Nyary Pal utca 5 Ph: 1373164 completed survey on 11/20/91 using: M.ZS.L (Hungarian Jewish Encyclopedia) and Orban. Site not visited.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 April 2014 22:20|