The current elementary school is located in the former Jewish school. The cemetery is in decent condition. Its caretaker is Rudolf Galgovics, Petőfi street 13. [March 2009]
US Commission No. 000023
Tolcsva is located in Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen at 48°17' 21°27', 50km from Miskolc. Cemetery: rear of Christian cemetery, along the road to Erdohorvati. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 481. First Rabbi was Mose David. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1770 with last known Hasidic Orthodox Jewish burial pre-WWII. No other towns used this cemetery. The suburban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall with no gate or lock. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.42 hectares.
100-500 gravestones, 50-75% toppled or broken, date from 18th-20th centuries. Vegetation overgrowth and water drainage are constant problems. The marble, limestone and sandstone, some with traces of paint on their surfaces, have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves, but has an ohel. The local Jewish community owns site. Adjacent properties are agricultural and cemetery. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years with no maintenance or care. Security, weather erosion, and vegetation are serious threats. Vandalism is a moderate threat.
Lowry Lajos and Peter Wirth completed survey on 9/12/91 using Wirth: itt van elrejtve. He visited site on 09/12/91.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 March 2009 19:40|