Tamási Holocaust memorial plaque exists. The cemetery is maintained. [March 2009]
US Commission No. 000055
Tamasi is located in Tolna, (46°38 18°17), 40km from Siofok. Cemetery: Pava utca. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with less than 10 Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 211. The Neolog Jewish cemetery was established in 19th century. No other towns used this cemetery. The flat, urban site, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker, no wall, fence, or gate. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.25 hectares.
100-500 gravestones, 1-20 not in original position and 25-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. Vegetation overgrowth and water drainage is a constant problem. The cemetery is not divided into special sections. The marble, granite and limestone finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no known mass graves or structures. The owner of the still-active cemetery is the national Jewish community. Adjacent properties are residential and cemetery. Boundaries are the same as in 1939. It is visited occasionally. Local or municipal authorities and Jewish individuals abroad re-erected stones and patched broken stones. No current care. Weather erosion is moderate threat; vegetation is serious threat.
Peter Wirth and Istvan Klein of Tamasi Czuczor u. 18 ph: 714 13 82 completed the survey on 10/24/91. He visited site on 14/10/1991 and on 22/10/1991.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 March 2009 11:40|