SZENTANTALFA: Veszprem Print

photos Bokorliget Foundation is responsible for the cemetery, but it resembles a scrubland next to the local football field in a meadow. While the meadow is maintained, the cemetery is inaccessible. With a broken old iron gate in the complete stone wall, a couple of gravestones in pieces are near the entrance. At the end of the cemetery, the graves are in good condition. [February 2009]

 

US Commission No. 000064

Szentantalfa is located in Veszprem, (46°55' 17°41'), 32km from Veszprem. Cemetery: W of the village (hrsz. 0163- land registration number). Present population is under 1,000 with no Jews.

  • Local: Polgarmesteri Hivatal of Szentantalfa Fo utca 39.
  • Regional: MAZSIHISZ of Sip U.12, H-1075, Budapest Phone: (011-361) 122-6475/78. No caretaker.

The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 11. The last known Jewish burial was pre-WWII. The Jewish community was Hasidic Orthodox, Sephardic Orthodox, Conservative, Progressive/Reform, and Neolog. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside cemetery has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and gate with no lock. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.03 hectares.

20-100 gravestones, 25-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem. The marble, granite and limestone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or double tombstones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. The owner of the still-active cemetery is the national Jewish community. Adjacent properties are recreational and agricultural. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. There has not been vandalism since restoration. There is no care of the cemetery now. Security (uncontrolled access), weather erosion, and vegetation are serious threats.

Peter Wirth completed survey on 11/16/91. He visited site on 22/10/1991.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 March 2009 19:16