History "The oldest Jewish grave in Sátoraljaujhely is from 1760, but the engraving is illegible." 1984 photo of Sátoraljaújhely synagogue at Dózsa Gy. út 13. used as a department store. In the old is the grave of Rabbi Mózes Teitelbaum's grave. Caretaker is Mrs. Lászlóné Tarr (Bem u. 10.). [February 2009]
Yizkor: Vanished Communities of Hungary [July 2012]
SÁTORALJAÚJHELY, Borsod-Abauj, Zemplen County, Zemplen Region. County capital is Miskolc about 80 km away. Current population: 22,300 with no current Jewish population.
According to the last census before World War II, the population was 4,200 but 12,300 Jews were deported from the entire Zemplen territory. Deportation to the ghetto began in April 1944. Rabbi Moses Teitelbaum family, Landau family, Deutch family, Rabbi of Beled, and Lauder family lived and are buried here. The last known Jewish burial in cemetery was in the summer of 1997 (Gabor Gottlieb). Other communities from other towns and villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The urban/suburban hillside, part of a municipal cemetery, has a sign in Hebrew, Hebrew on gate/wall, and inscriptions on pre-burial house mentioning the Jewish Community. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a broken masonry wall, a broken fence, trees and bushes, and locking gate. Approximate size of the cemetery before World War II and now is 2 hectares.
Approximately 5,000 gravestones are in the cemetery, regardless of condition or position with 3,000 in original location. 90% is toppled or broken, with 10% removed from the cemetery. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage may be a seasonal problem. If the cemetery is divided into special sections is impossible to determine because the register is lost. The gravestone date from 1841-19th century. The marble, granite, limestone, sandstone, slate, and iron finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or obelisks have Hebrew, Yiddish, and Hungarian inscriptions. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. No known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns cemetery. Properties adjacent are residential and, on one side, the Catholic cemetery. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries enclose the same area. Rrivate visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized frequently in the last ten years. Past care: cleaned stones, vegetation cleared, and fixed of gate. The City Protection Association had the preburial house "redecorated in 1994", probably meaning reconstructed. [Note: Evidence of restuccoing without paint exists in photos.] Current Care: occasional cleared or cleaning by individuals. Caretaker is not paid. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial with wall inscriptions. About 75% of the area is unprotected (without a fence) so uncontrolled access is a very serious threat. Weather erosion is a serious threat. Vandalism is a very serious threat.
Margit Pauleczki, 25 Dozsa Gy. Street, Tolcsva H-3934, Secretary of the City Protection Association at 2 Dozsa Gy. Street, Satoraljaujhely H-3980, Hungary and Laszlo TARR, 62 Majuskut Street, Satoraljaujhely H-3980, Tel. 36-47/321-029 visited on 2 May 1999 and are regular visitors to the cemetery. Theodore Fendrich supplied the completed survey. He visited the site and has photographs: tombstones of Efraim Fisher, Lukacs Sandorme, and Ester bat Shaul.
UPDATE: The cemetery had been completely cleaned and cleared of overgrowth and weeds that obscured hundreds of tombstones amd impeded entry. Plans include restoration of the majority of the 3048 broken/toppled/sunken gravestones, prpper enclosure of the currently unprotected sections, negotiate with underground winery to resolve problem caused by number of crater-like holes, and number photograph the markers for subsequent cataloguing. Source: Toby Mendlowitz. Asstant Director HFPJC
SATORALJAUJHELY (I): US Commission No. 000017
The 1941 Jewish population was 4,027. After 1886, the original Orthodox community divided into Orthodox and Hasidic branches. Living here were Rabbi Naftali Hirsch and Rebs Ismach Majse Teitelbaum (1759-1841), Low Jeremias, Low Eleazar, Weisz Kalman, Roth Samuel, Dick Hermann, and Engel Yozsef. The regional and national landmark Jewish cemetery was established in 1780 with last known Hasidic Orthodox Jewish burial in 19th century. Teitelbaum Mozes and Alexander (Rabbi from Komarom) are buried here. The isolated urban hillside has a sign in Hebrew and inscriptions in Hebrew on gate or wall mark the cemetery. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous fence with a locked gate.
20-100 gravestones, 50-75% toppled or broken, date from 18th-19th century. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone finely smoothed and inscribed stones, multi-stone monuments or obelisks, some with traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves, have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. There is an ohel. The local Jewish community owns and still uses the cemetery. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial. Jewish individuals and Jewish groups abroad cleared vegetation and fixed walls and gate in 1985-86. There has been no vandalism since restoration. Budapesti Orthodox Hitkozseg pays the regular caretaker. Weather erosion and pollution are very serious threats.
Lowry Lajos completed the survey on 1/27/92. The following documentation(s) was used: M.ZS.L.; Orban; Gruber.
UPDATE: One of my relatives just visited the local Jewish cemetery. He was amazed to discover that it is quite large and in reasonable shape. Although many tombstones fell down, still the majority is in place. Several are worn out and very difficult to read. Since this community was largely composed of Orthodox Jews, a significant number of engravings are in Hebrew only. You will need boots to walk through because weeds grew high. The cemetery has a local keeper. The list of graves was lost so the search could be quite time consuming. [January 2004]
SATORALJAUJHELY (II): US Commission No. 000018
Cemetery: northern end of Kazinczy Street (Land record # 3275 hrsz).
The Jewish cemetery was established in 1870. The Jewish community was "Statusquo". The suburban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has a sign in Hebrew mentioning Jews. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall with a gate (no lock). Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 2.69 hectares.
500-5000 gravestones, 20-100 not in original location and 50-75% toppled or broken, date from 1880-20th centuries. Vegetation overgrowth and water damage are a constant problem. Special sections exist for men, women and rabbis. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration and multi-stone monuments have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The pre-burial house has a tahara (table), wall inscriptions, and a chimney. The owner of the still-active cemetery is the national Jewish community. Adjacent properties are agricultural and cemetery. Occasionally, organized Jewish tours or pilgrimage groups, organized individual tours and private visitors visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within Hungary carried out restoration. Care now is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Security (uncontrolled access) is serious threat. Weather erosion, pollution, and vegetation are moderate threats.
Lowy Lajos completed survey on 1/28/92 using M.ZS.L; Orban; Wirth. Kecmar Gabor at Satoraljaujhely at Kazinczy utca 91 was interviewed.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 02 August 2012 14:28|