|SAROSPATAK: BoAZ [Sárospatak, PATAK AM BODROG [GER], ŠARIŠSKÝ POTOK [SLOV], PATAK; VÉGARDÓ, BODROGHALÁSZ]|
ALTERNATE NAMES: SÁROSPATAK [HUN], PATAK AM BODROG [GER], ŠARIŠSKÝ POTOK [SLOV], PATAK; VÉGARDÓ, BODROGHALÁSZ. 48°19' N, 21°35' E, 40 miles ENE of Miskolc.
Sárospatak's Jewish cemetery can be found near garages."Sarospatak" - Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities in Hungary [March 2009]
Sarospatak Jewish Cemetery Images by Sander Feinberg [June 2013]
US Commission No. 000016
Sarospatak is located in Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen at 48°19' 21°35', 15km SW of Satoraljaujhely and about 125 mi. NE of Budapest. Cemetery: near Highway No. 37. (Land record 37.hrsz.) Present population is 5,000-25,000, with less than 10 Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 1096. In the 1848 Freedom War, the Jewish Elders saved the town from Russian invaders. First Rabbi was Szinyover Hirsch and Rabbis: Schaltin Simon (1837-64), Beiron Jesajo, Ehrenfeld Jesajo are buried here. The Jewish cemetery was established end of 18th century with last known Hasidic Orthodox Jewish burial 1950. Bodroghavarz, Vegardo (15km away) and Hercegkut, Karoly Falva (15km away) used this cemetery. The isolated and flat suburban cemetery has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous masonry wall and unlocked gate. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.64 hectares.
100-500 gravestones, 1-20 not in original position and 25-50% toppled or broken, date from 1780-20th century. The marble, granite and limestone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones or flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house. Vegetation overgrowth, drainage, and weather erosion are problems. Pollution is moderate threat. The owner of the still-active cemetery is the national Jewish community. Adjacent properties are residential. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Jewish individuals within Hungary and abroad carried out restoration with no vandalism since. Care now is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals.
Lowry Lajos completed the survey on 1/27/92. Documentation: M.ZS.L; Wirth; Orban. He visited site on 01/27/92.
Photographs: Lynn Golumbic:
|Last Updated on Friday, 05 July 2013 20:52|