Caretaker of the cemetery: János Varga, Nyíregyháza street 29. [February 2009]
US Commission No. 000036
Pills is located in Pest, (47°17' 19°33'), 45km from Budapest. Cemetery: near the center, Kavai utca. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
Local: Polgarmesteri Hivatal of Pilis Kossuth ut 47 Ph: 13.
Regional: MAZSIHISZ of Sip U.12, H-1075, Budapest Phone: (011-361) 122-6475/78.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 136. The Jewish cemetery was established at end of 19th century with last known Neolog Jewish burial 1939. Danszentmuklos and Nyaregyhaza (both 18km away) used this cemetery. The isolated flat urban site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via no wall, fence or gate. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.08 hectares.
1-20 gravestones, none in original location and 50-75% toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th centuries. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem. The limestone and sandstone flat shaped stones or finely smoothed and inscribed stones have Hebrew and Hungarian inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves or structures. Owned by the national Jewish community, it is still in use. Adjacent properties are residential. Cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery was vandalized frequently in the last ten years, but not since Jewish groups within Hungary did restoration in 1990. Occasional cleared or cleaning by authorities. Security and vandalism is very serious threat. Incompatible nearby development is moderate threat.
Peter Tamas completed the survey on 5/11/91. He visited site on 20/08/1991. Interviewed were Zoltai Gusztav on 05/11/1991 at MAZSIHISZ.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 03 March 2009 17:26|