NYIRKATA: US Commission No. 000050
Nyirkata is located in Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg, (47°52' 22°16'), 13km from Mateszauca. Cemetery: Csaszati ut. Present population is 5,000-25,000 with no Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 137. The last known Hasidic Orthodox Jewish burial was pre-WWI. The unlandmarked suburban hillside, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a continuous fence with locked gate. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.25 hectares. 20-100 gravestones, 25% are toppled or broken, date from 19th-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat stones with carved relief decoration, double tombstones or sculpted monuments have Hebrew inscriptions. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures or mass graves. The owner of the still-active cemetery is unknown. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. Local non-Jewish residents and Jewish individuals abroad re-erected stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed wall and gate. Weather erosion is serious threat. Peter Wirth completed survey on 10/12/91. No documentation was used. He visited site on 06/12/1991. The Horvath family was interviewed.
- Local: Polgarmesteri fHivatal of Nyirkata Hodaszi ut 3.
- Regional: Budapesti Orthodox Hitkozseg, of Dob u.35, H-1075 Budapest Phone: (011-361) 132-4333.
- Caretaker with key: Horvath Imrene of Nyirkata Csaszati ut 35.