MOHACS: BRNY Print

MohácscCaretaker is Mrs. Józsefné Laczkó (Kazinczy u. 38.). Jewish population remaining in Mohacs used cemetery in 1987. [March 2009]

 

US Commission No. 000009

Mohacs is located at 45°59' 18°42', 50km from Szekszard, on Baranya along Highway No. 57 (land record B 157.hrz). Cemetery: W of the center of town. Present population is under 100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Town: Mayor: Kuti (lmre) Istvan, and town clerk is Olt Gyorgy.
  • Local: Polgarmesten Hivatal of MOHACS Szechenyi ter 1. Ph: 10 722.
  • Regional: Mazhihisz of Sip U.12, H-1075, Budapest Phone: (011-361) 122-6475/78 and Izraelita Hitkozseg of Pecs furdo utca 1.
  • Interested: Kanizsai Dorottya Muzeum of Mohacs Szerb u.2.
  • Caretaker: Marton Janos under the direction of Altalanos Iskova of the town government located at Korhaz u. 1-3.

Pre-WWII Jewish population was 741. Mohacsi Jeno, Roheim Jeno, Vida Pezso and Rabbi Grunwald Jakob lived here. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1850 with the last known burial in 1987. Aschner Lipot is buried in this cemetery. Bar, Babarc (15km away) and Verserd (15km away) used this unlandmarked Neolog cemetery. The flat isolated suburban site has no signs except for Jewish symbols on the gate or wall. Reached by turning directly off a public road, a continuous masonry wall with a locked gate (key is held by caretaker) surrounds it.

The 0.66-hectare cemetery has 100-500 gravestones all apparently in original location. 25%-50% of the surviving stones are toppled or broken. Some stones have been moved to unknown locations. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem limiting access. Gravestones date from 1875-20th century. The marble, granite, limestone and sandstone flat shaped, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration, or double tombstones have Hebrew, Hungarian, and Serbian inscriptions. Some have metal fences around graves. There are special memorial monuments to Holocaust victims but no known mass graves. The national Jewish community owns this Jewish cemetery. Adjacent land is agricultural and residences. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Frequently, private visitors and local residents visit. Relatively recent acts of vandalism [1990] required re-erection of stones. Jewish groups within Hungary cleared vegetation and renovated of a pre-burial house with tahara (table) and wall inscriptions in 1991. No vandalism occurred since restoration. There is a regular caretaker who is provided with official quarters. There is an ohel and a well. Vandalism remains the only significant threat.

Peter Tamas and Peter Wirth completed this survey on 10/20/93 based on a visit in April 1991.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 03 March 2009 21:08