Máriapócs (Romanian: Pociu) is a small town at 47°53' N 22°02' E, 139.6 miles ENE of Budapest, in the Northern Great Plain region of eastern Hungary near Nyíregyháza.
US Commission No. 000045
Máriapócs is located in Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg at 47°53' 22°02', 15km from Nyirbator. Cemetery: at Ofehertoi ut 82. Present town population is between 1,000 and 5,000 with no Jews.
The pre-WWII Jewish population (census) was 84.The Jewish cemetery was established in 1800 century with last known Hasidic Orthodox Jewish burial 1940. No other towns or villages used this cemetery. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken fence with no lock. No known mass graves or structures exist. Pre- and post-WWII size of cemetery is 0.24 hectares.
1-20 20th century limestone tombstones are finely smoothed and inscribed stones or common gravestones with Hebrew inscriptions. The national Jewish community owns property now used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing) and residential. Adjacent properties are residential. Boundaries are unchanged since 1939. No vandalism in the last ten years. . Local non-Jewish residents cleaned stones and vegetation in 1991. Care now is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Security (uncontrolled access) and vegetation are slight threats. Weather erosion is serious threat.
Riczu Zoltan of Nyiregyhaza, Vasvan Pal ut 74 completed survey on 1/11/91. He visited site on 01/11/1991. Interviewed were Gubcsu Janos at Mariapocs Ofehertoi ut 80; Fekete Laszlone at Mariapocs Ofehertoi ut 84; and Toth Sandor at Mariapocs Petriu ut 36.
|Last Updated on Friday, 22 October 2010 11:40|